Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this beautiful 2002 Yamaha vstar 650. Has 27000 miles on it and ran great!! My tires were getting very balled so I decided to do a burn out since I was to replace the tires! It was a small 30 second burn out but after I did that, my bike wouldn’t go into first gear. Before this the bike shifted fine. When I held the clutch lever in and then pushed down on shifter, it kinda just bounced back and the the neutral light stayed on. So I took the ride side cover off thinking it was something with my clutch pads or clutch bowl but everything looked fine. No abnormal wear. I think it’s something to do with my shift shaft and the gear shifter but I just don’t understand how it works. I adjusted the clutch cable all the way tight and all the way loose to see if anything would change but nothings did. Not sure really what to do guys! Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
You have probably checked but I thought I'd ask anyway..
Is the shift pedal/lever making contact with the floorboard (or anything) thus limiting its travel so it can not make a full shift?

Next, like you said, I'm thinking something might be wrong with the shift mechanism. There is an internal torsion spring and a coil spring on the shift shaft located under, or behind the clutch that could be broken.
Can't remember for sure but I believe you have to remove the clutch to see them.

Can you feel the bike shift into other gears (2nd, 3rd and so on) if you rock the bike while moving the shift pedal?

One thing I should caution you about with that bike... The rear gear box is kinda a weak spot with the V-Star 650.
The pinon gear splines can, and have, striped on a few that I've seen thru the years.
Yamaha does not sell the pinon gear alone. You have to buy the whole rear gear box to fix it when that happens.
You do not want to know how much that gear box costs.
Burn-outs bad for that bike... FYI

S F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!!! This’ll be the last time I do a burnout on this bike....:( so it will shift up in 2rd and 3rd but it’s like it skips 2nd and does like a 2 at a time gear shift. So instead of going 2,3,4,5 up it goes 2,3 and doesn’t do anymore. It’s odd because I took the clutch off and everything looks to be good behind clutch. When I took the clutch off it did cycle through all 5 gears.... but then stopped doing it again after 3 or 4 times of cycles through them.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
You aren't the first to find out these burnouts can be more expensive than they are worth. Did you go so far as to actually blow the tire or just suddenly shut it down. Not sure what that might do internally but asking to help others understand as much as possible about your incident. But thinking maybe something is now in a bind if that's possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a pretty mellow burn out. Tires didn’t blow but I was able to ride after for a min but when I put her in neutral I couldn’t shift again. Maybe it is my clutch pads... what are the signs of bad clutch pads??

·
Registered
03 Honda shadow spirit
36 Posts
It was a pretty mellow burn out. Tires didn’t blow but I was able to ride after for a min but when I put her in neutral I couldn’t shift again. Maybe it is my clutch pads... what are the signs of bad clutch pads??
usually your clutch will go bad when you feel it slipping. this sounds more like a gearbox issue to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts