Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I got this 2002 Yamaha v Star 1100 custom for virtually nothing. The guy was just riding it last year. Since then his dog chewed off the side cover and ripped out the fuse block, shredding all the wires.

I printed off a blurry wiring schematic and went to town with butt connectors. 48 butt connectors later, and she starts right up.

So the problem is my rear turn signals do not light or blink. The tail light works, running light and brake. The front turn signals light but do not blink. And when I unhook the connector to the back turn signals and tail light, the front left light goes out. So I'm sure that I've got something wrong, but it all looks right to me. But I'm definitely no pro.

One thing I noticed was I'm getting continuity to ground from the white wire in the flasher relay harness. Doesn't seem right.

This is the state it's in at the moment. Picture was taking during test run, so the tank was put back on.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
865 Posts
I would have got rid of the dog, not the bike. But that's just me. Look at the Clymer website. They make great books with diagrams in them. You might be able to get one online.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,895 Posts
do you have a multi-meter? If not you need to get one and test each and every wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like an explanation of the operation of the flasher relay. Right now with key on I get power to the brown, yellow with red, and brown with white. But the rear turn lights do nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To critter.

Yes I do. I'm not above testing wires LOL that's for sure. But going through a relay im assuming it should only have power under certain conditions. Like when the turn signal is pushed one way or the other. I have power on both poles in the switch which I would expect. I figure that's in signal to the relay on one side or the other so it starts to flash. Operating on assumptions here!

·
15,895 Posts
Just for haha's have you run power directly to the lights and make sure they work? I believe grounds come into play as well. Check your grounds for your lights.

·
15,895 Posts
Not to chase you away but there is a dedicated Vstar website. If one would look on the internet the might find it. There are a lot of very smart Yamaha experts there. I belong to the Royal Star site which is part of the site. Good luck and please come back and let us know what you find out. We are a lot more fun here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got it figured out yesterday. I didn't even think about it, but it has 18 in. hangars on it. Talking to the previous owner and he mentioned that he had the original bars.

So I started taking the wires out of the hangars and found multiple shorts and disconnected wires from poor solder work/no flux used. I put the shorter bars on and wired it up. Everything works as it should and it's back on the road.

·
15,895 Posts
That is great news, you had a problem in one place that you thought you had fixed. Opened up another can of worms and fixed your issue. You probably would never have thought to look in the bars for an issue. Great job.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.