Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time posting here.
I'm looking to get my first bike and was looking for some opinions on this one I found. It's a 2001 Yamaha yzf600r with 21,000 miles on it, asking price is just above $3k. Now one reason I'm contemplating buying this particular motorcycle is because of the lease to own buying option this dealership offers... Basically I'm growing antsy as the riding season is ending shortly and I'd love to get on a bike before that happens. My question is do you think it's a good idea / safe to buy this 17 year old bike? Is this price ridiculous and I'm just being too impatient and should just save more to buy a newer bike? And if it's not a ludicrous idea to purchase any advice on what I should specifically look for with it? I'm new here so I hope this post isn't redundant or anything like that.Any and all opinions are welcome. If I go and look at it I was planning on taking along a buddy that knows more about bikes than myself to see what he thinks about the quality, hopefully to offset the chances of me getting ripped off.
Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
I'd be looking for something newer.
A 17 year old Japanese bike could be a problem due to the possibility of discontinued parts.

I know a guy that owns a 2004 Yamaha dirt bike. It needs a new main wire harness ...... DISCONTINUED

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I can't say I ever understood the lease to own thing, I always just went out an bought it, I think there could be a LOT more here than
you know about legally speaking, like if it got wracked up? not that I'd be happy if it happened to me but if it did, I would NOT want to
have to keep paying on something deader than the proverbial door nail. Just what SemiFast said though about a dis-continued MAIN
wiring harness though. Let's do something politicians don't, let's be honest, when the dealer hands you a lease to own contract, you
and I know we are not gonna really understand it, I know I'm not, maybe if you are a lawyer and you DO know EXACTLY what it
means, what about parts the dealer can't get? No friend, I'd drop this like bike like fast. Let it be the headache of the dealer, running
a business he has has certain rights the I.R.S. gives for write-offs, we don't get that, DO we? Even a bike ten yrs old is somewhat
more likely to have most parts available.

I do understand the ants in ya pants, wanting to get out an ride, the dream of riding two wheels, BUT I too think there is too much
risk of that dream turning into a freaking night-mare.

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
I got nothing for you on the bike but I can share some hard earned advice about the purchase. If you can't buy it outright don't. Financing it over time is a bad idea and leasing it is significantly worst still. As you said riding season is ebbing. Pass on this season, go on bean and water diet, save your pennies, and just buy a bike cash next spring. You will then own it, it will not own you. Debt is just a millstone to carry around your neck. 2 cents worth.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
You might ALSO want to to talk to ins. companies and see what it would cost you, They look at it by class of bike? ,c.c's? how many
were stolen? how many got wracked up?, you are likely to find a bike similar that will cost you somewhat less to insure. One year
I was looking at both, a Low rider and a Wide glide, same model year, same engine size YET big time difference in cost as the WG's
were stolen more often.

AND then there is the chance the dealer is NOT telling you everything about the bike, never mind the funky lease to own thing,
last thing you need is a bike you can't ride because a part went and that part is not around anymore. As Sphincter says
"Go on a beans a water diet save your pennies, buy in cash next spring." I am saying, "Look at other bikes, like 2010 and up
Use the info from ins. companies to a point to know what you will pay for bike ins. for a certain model of bike."

It was cheaper for me to buy out right when I got the WG from H-D, as buying outright I could afford the insurance and still save a
few $$. Buying on time would have been stretching or maybe hanging it wa-a-a-y out, naw not a good idea, for me anyhow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts