Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months I've been having problems with my bike, a while back me and my wife we riding around town and after about a hour and a half of riding it just stalled out on us, I pulled over to the side of the road and looked over my bike and it didn't seem to have anything wrong. I fired up the engine and it ran fine all the way back to the house about 20 minutes away. Since then I have riddin my bike just around town a little on my days off but here recently I took it out and after about 20 of riding it stalled on me again, again I pulled over, looked over my bike and saw nothing on the exterior when I tried to start it back up it had a little trouble firing up but it seemed fine. I took off toward my house and after about 2 minutes of riding from my previous stop it did it again. I got it started and took off again and made it home with a little bit of a throttle issue (it didn't feel like it was getting much power). Since that day my bike has a very hard time starting, every once in a while I can get it started but it dies after a couple of seconds, and sometimes if I hold the throttle down a little bit it will start and throttle up fine but once I let off the throttle it will die after a few seconds, by now I cant even get it to start any more for fear of burning up the starter. Can anyone help me out with this problem I'm not too keen on bikes but I'm a decent mechanic and I'm sure I'll be able to change out any parts that may need be.

I usually run premium gas from shell or chevron gas stations

A friend of mine said it may be the fuel filter and another said maybe the spark plugs but I haven't gotten a chance to change either because of work. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular bike, but what you describe sounds like a form of fuel starvation, so one of the first things you might ant to do is to see if it's getting gas into the cylinders. Turn it over several times with the starter, then pull one of the spark plugs and see if it's wet and smells like gas.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
I would start with the fuel filter, change that and check all the fuel lines make sure you don't have any air leaks. Is that a vacumn fuel valve?

you might also want to run some fuel cleaner through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.