Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into riding motorcycles and want to start off with something that has enough 'get up' to enjoy for awhile before getting another bike. I've looked some into the Katana GSX600f and there are many good and average reviews. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and this bike seems big enough. The bike I'm looking at is in decent condition and they are asking $2300 which I think is a little steep, I hope I can talk it down several hundred.

Let me know what your opinions are on starting out on this bike. My options are limited as I'm looking for an older bike to start on and aren't close to a big city.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There are many many posts concerning starting on an inline 4. Check them out. It's simply not a good idea due to the power band and the pure horsepower of the bike. Get a 250 or 500, learn to really ride, you won't "outgrow" the bike, just your ego.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I started riding 4/5 years ago and the I also looked at the Katana as a first bike(after taking the MSC). Being that I never rode or had a bike, the Katana looked a little intimidating. I settled with a 2007 Ninja 500R with 3000 miles on it for $2800. I now consider it the best move I made as a new rider. The 500r is light, problem free and a confidence builder. I sold it for $500. more than the purchase price and now own a G650gs BMW and never been down(knock on wood). Good luck and ride safe. *By the way, I'm 6'1 200lbs also...

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
At 75hp and 500lbs, the Katana is not the worst bike in the world to start on. It doesn't have the power of other I4 600s and its quite heavy for a sport bike. 75hp and 500lbs is probably a bit more than you would ideally want to start on if you have no experience, but I can think of several people who started on Katanas and lived to tell about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts