Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 Honda Shadow 3 weeks ago and it was running perfectly then. Then one day, it has a loss of power and is topping out at 64mph. It idles great, but when starting at a stop, you really have to ride the clutch or it will die. I removed the carb thinking it was the jets but they were perfectly clear. It has a new air filter. When idling and you pull the throttle, there is a small delay in hearing it roar. I thought maybe the clutch was not disengaging, but it is idling and still has the rev issue with slight delay than when I bought it. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to take it to a shop (expensive)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Critter. Is this a common issue when fuel filters go bad? Is the fuel filter in the gas tank?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,456 Posts
Not sure could be in line or it could be in the bottom of the petcock. Do you have a service manual?

There are others on here with a lot more Honda experience,

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
Could also be air filter. Sometimes there's just enough to let them run fine then a little blow by oil stops them up solid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hogcowboy, I thought that too but just put in a brand new air filter. Any other suggestions to check?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I can rule out any fuel issues, fuel is pouring through the inline fuel filter and on the line coming out of the fuel pump and into the carb. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
Has it been put up for the winter? Might have a mouse nest in the exhaust.

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
Think I'd start looking for a vacuum leak or leaking carb boot then. But you don't know if it had been parked for an extended time so a mouse nest can still be suspect and it's worked loose and blocks everything up as you accelerate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay after doing some research I read about both cylinders may not be firing and it's true. I'm a tad baffled by this though. When bike is idling and I remove back cylinder's spark plug wire, idle stays the same. When it's idling and I remove the front cylinder spark plug wire, the idle drops. When I pull both wires and start it, it somehow starts for 20 seconds and idles.... I don't understand. Are there more than one spark in each cylinder?! Please help! How is it running with both spark plug boots off?

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
There are 4 plugs, I think you have to remove the chrome valve cover to get to two of them. Best to use the plug tool in the tool kit to get them in and out. Two of them were not made to be easy to get to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have a ton of spark plug sockets and still need to buy a new one to pull out the spark plugs now because the opening is so narrow. Anyways, the back cylinder exhaust isnt hot either so I'm assuming it's not working or barely working. Any suggestions? Ive now narrowed it to a cylinder issue and I'm hoping to get some suggestions to check for. The shops around here are very expensive, and I'm mechanically inclined enough if anyone can provide some pointers to check for and get this cylinder working again?

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Change the plugs, always a good idea to start with the easy and cheap stuff first. There is a chance they have never been changed anyway and the bike is 14 years old.

The tool kit has one of the only plug tools that will work on that bike, there is a clearance issue that will keep just about any other tool from getting to two of them.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Working

Your test has revealed one cylinder is not firing correctly.
The good news is the bike used to run fine. So something has happened rather quickly. That points to some kind of ignition failure, which is not uncommon with electrical parts. Study the ignition system. Maybe do a search for common problems for that model. Idiot boxes ( ignition units ) and coils can fail. But first look for wyres that may have come lose, or have poor connections.
Coils and idiot boxes, cost more than searching and checking.
Spark plugs can fail, so new plugs would be a good start. Also check the plug caps. Make sure the wyre from the coil is making a good connection in the cap.
Checking for heat, and then spark, was a good plan.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, yall have been very helpful. I'm going to get the spark plug sockets and new sparkplugs now and will answer shortly. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts