Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy the Ducati 750SSie. It will be my first bike
I have couple questions that I hope you guys can help me with.
First off: I can do small services myself and I can learn to do the belt changes seeing as Duc 4 Valves are simple engines.

Now the questions I have:
Seeing as how this bike is fuel injected
How does it handle being cold.
On a different topic, Hos well does it handle rain ( seeing as I live in The Netherlands)

Thanks guys!
Be safe out there

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Fuel injected bikes usually don't have trouble in the cold. The engine may have to warm a little longer than usual.

If you have good street tires, rain isn't too bad. There is less traction available, and visibility can be lessened for both the rider and other traffic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel injected bikes usually don't have trouble in the cold. The engine may have to warm a little longer than usual.

If you have good street tires, rain isn't too bad. There is less traction available, and visibility can be lessened for both the rider and other traffic.

Thanks. I meant it in the way of the electric stuff going wrong in the rain but thanks anyway :)

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Rain.

Some bikes have a bad habit of a spark plug, or two, quitting in the rain. It depends if they are exposed, and how much rain.
Also the quality of the caps. Worst was the three cylinder 2 stroke Kawasakis.
The forward plug on my SV650 would quit. I made a small shield about 180 X 60 that I put in front of the plug. That fixed the problem.
My SV1000 does not have a problem. The engine is a similar design and the plug is in about the same place. Some engines have a drain hole for any water that sits at the base of the plug. The holes can get plugged with crap. The two outside plugs on my XS11 would misfire in the rain. New plug caps and goop fixed that.

Water coming off the front fender can be a problem for a V twin. Usually the coils and other electric parts stay dry. You will find out how it runs when you ride it in the rain.

Fuel injected bikes are usually great for starting, just press the button. But this is a 1971 bike. Is that year correct?

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts