Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 r1 with a front brake problem I can't figure out. The brakes keep on getting tighter and tighter without me even touching them I can bleed them and a day or two later they are so tight the front wheel is locked up would that be the master cylinder? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Check the small hole(s) in the bottom of the reservoir for blockage. That's not only how the master cylinder is filled, but also the pressure release, for when the fluid heats up and expands. A fine wire is often all it takes, then flush whatever was there through the system with a fresh fill and bleed.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Check the small hole(s) in the bottom of the reservoir for blockage. That's not only how the master cylinder is filled, but also the pressure release, for when the fluid heats up and expands. A fine wire is often all it takes, then flush whatever was there through the system with a fresh fill and bleed.
^^^:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If that doesn't work take a look at the quad seals, (square profile o-rings) in the calipers. Those are what help the pistons to retract. Also, make sure there's no corrosion or other crap on the caliper piston, or inside the caliper piston bore. Also, crud can build up on the caliper seals and what-not and cause enough drag on the piston when it tries to retract to hold it in place.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Locking Brakes

As far as brakes are concerned I replace the brake fluid on my motorcycle and cars yearly and blow out any debris with air compressor. I use the MitiVac Brake Bleeder. Great tool. HF $30 I think. 2003 Shadow 42,000 miles of which I put on 90% and 1999 Contour SVT 180,000 miles and never replaced calipers yet. Make sure you are using the right brake fluid and brake fluid absorbs water quickly(hygroscopic). Water in the system can wreak havoc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts