Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home a few days ago and I noticed when I tried to accelerate over about 55mph my engine would rev up louder than it normally would, sort of like if I were pulling the clutch slightly. I thought maybe it was just in my head, so I tried to accelerate up to 65mph and rode for about a quarter mile, by then I knew it wasn't in my head and it was way louder than it should have been, so I let off the gas a little and went back down to 55mph, and then over the next mile or so, my speed slowly started dropping while and it was getting louder while still giving it the same amount of gas, so I started to down shift and and give it less gas to keep the rpms from getting too high. Finally I came up to a stop sign outside of town and tried to accelerate in first gear, I got up to about 5mph at first and got across the intersection and then it wouldn't go at all. It was like I was in neutral. So I pushed it about 3 miles home, that was terrible, and then let it sit for a couple days until I figured out what to do about it. I haven't had much luck figuring it out, asked a couple friends but they couldn't really give me any answers. My battery is completely dead, but I've been able to get it to start by running and kicking it into second gear and giving it some gas as I let go of the clutch. That being said, I got it to start today, and I rode it around the block, but I couldn't get over 15mph. So I parked it in the driveway and then remembered someone mentioned on a thread that they were losing power, but when they turned their choke on it would come back. When I tried to push start it the second time it wouldn't start, so I gave up on it for the day. I hope someone can send me in the right direction. On a side note, I changed the oil about a day before this happened, I just drained it and filled it back up. I know The rebels have an oil screen instead of a filter, and I saw an oil change video that suggested cleaning it every other oil change, but it was kind of a hassle to get to when I attempted to clean it a couple oil changed ago, and one of my friends dad told me it wouldn't make a difference since it was just a screen, so I don't know if that could have had anything to do with it. I've had it about 6 months, it only had around 3000 miles when I got it, and it is a 2000, so maybe the carburetor is dirty from sitting with gas in it? Just a guess. Some people suggest putting "Seafoam" in the gas and letting it sit to clean it out, I haven't tried that yet, but I'm gonna look into that, I assume it couldn't hurt. I'm not really sure, this is my first bike so I'm still learning about them. But yeah, This is my only ride and I've been very inconvenienced to say the least. If anyone has any tips or suggestions they will be extremely appreciated, Thanks!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The clutch is slipping.

My guess is that the oil you put in it is "Energy Conserving", which is too slick to use in a wet clutch like the Rebel has.

Change the oil again, this time using the type of oil specified for the motorcycle, avoiding Energy Conserving oil.

On a side note, you should follow the recommendation of the manufacturer about cleaning the oil screen to keep the engine running it's best and for a long life.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always used Amsoil 10w40, I looked up what type of oil to use and saw that that's the recommended oil. Is it possible that the clutch is slipping with the right type of oil?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch is slipping.

My guess is that the oil you put in it is "Energy Conserving", which is too slick to use in a wet clutch like the Rebel has.

Change the oil again, this time using the type of oil specified for the motorcycle, avoiding Energy Conserving oil.

On a side note, you should follow the recommendation of the manufacturer about cleaning the oil screen to keep the engine running it's best and for a long life.
I've always used Amsoil 10w40, I looked up what type of oil to use and saw that that's the recommended oil. Is it possible that the clutch is slipping with the right type of oil?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Happening right after an oil change could be a coincidence. Check the clutch adjustment to make sure there the cable slack is in spec. If that's ok, it may need a clutch replacement.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Another common reason to have a clutch slip is the clutch adjustment. You should have some "freeplay" in the clutch lever. How much depends on which bike you have but all of them require some minimal amount of free play. Check your owner's manual and make sure the free play is set right. If there is not enough you are set up to have your clutch slipping.
Any oil you use in a wet clutch bike should carry the JASO MA or MA2 rating. The MA means it is suitable for a wet clutch while the MA2 means it is also suitable for a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Another common reason to have a clutch slip is the clutch adjustment. You should have some "freeplay" in the clutch lever. How much depends on which bike you have but all of them require some minimal amount of free play. Check your owner's manual and make sure the free play is set right. If there is not enough you are set up to have your clutch slipping.
Any oil you use in a wet clutch bike should carry the JASO MA or MA2 rating. The MA means it is suitable for a wet clutch while the MA2 means it is also suitable for a catalytic converter.
Thanks for the info!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
My bet is it is the oil too. Change it out with a non energy conserving oil right away. I don't know if Amsoil has friction modifiers or not, but I'm guessing they do in the car oil. If you get the oil changed before the plates absorb a lot of the modifiers, they should be okay.

Either charge the battery or get a new one if the one you have is bad. Overworking the charging system will create some expensive problems too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts