Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background:
I bought the bike last summer and it ran ok until November. I winterized the bike with little gas in the tank and it sat for about 1 month and a half. I then poured 5 litres of fresh gas and some Sta-Bil to prevent the old gas from going bad but I did not start the bike. Last month I finally started and after some cranking it was alive and running ok, but it was dying sometimes at red lights. I proceeded to do some maintenance - adjusted the idle screw of the carburetor, changed the oil of the engine, the oil of the final drive, new air filter, flushed the radiator with some Bardahl radiator cleaner and then poured new antifreeze, changed the spark plug. After all that the bike was running ok.

Now the problem:
I hadn't ridden the bike in about a week and today I measured the battery with a multimeter and it read 12.85V, so I started the bike. After the third try it was alive and I rode it about 2 kilometres and stopped to pump the tyres. After that it again started after the third try and I again rode it about 2 kilometres, when suddenly it started sputtering while I was riding and it died. Ever since it is only cranking but not starting - neither warm, nor cold. The only issue I've had ever since I got the bike were detonations in the exhaust when letting off the throttle. What should I do? Is the carburetor the problem or is it something else?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,106 Posts
Check your fuel system down to the carb(s) all valves and hoses. Are you getting fuel at the carb(s)? If you are you will have to clean it(them)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your fuel system down to the carb(s) all valves and hoses. Are you getting fuel at the carb(s)? If you are you will have to clean it(them)
It's a single-cylinder engine with one carb. Thanks for the info. I'll do the checks first thing tomorrow.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,939 Posts
It is a fueling problem and a very common one. There is the idle circuit, the intermediate circuit, (The one that usually causes the problem) and the main jet circuit.

The metering jets in carb's are very small and easily get plugged up and here is what I recommend:

Buy a can of dedicated fuel injection/ carb cleaner and pour maybe a half can in your tank and take it for a long ride until the carb self cleans. I prefer Chevron TECHRON but there are other brands. This may totally solve your problem but it may take 50 to 100 miles to do the trick.

If this doesn't work, the carb needs to be removed, disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, reassembled and it should run well. It is a very easy job once the carb is on the work bench. If you don't have the skills, then a dealer or independent shop will.

I hope this helps!

Sam:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a fueling problem and a very common one. There is the idle circuit, the intermediate circuit, (The one that usually causes the problem) and the main jet circuit.

The metering jets in carb's are very small and easily get plugged up and here is what I recommend:

Buy a can of dedicated fuel injection/ carb cleaner and pour maybe a half can in your tank and take it for a long ride until the carb self cleans. I prefer Chevron TECHRON but there are other brands. This may totally solve your problem but it may take 50 to 100 miles to do the trick.

If this doesn't work, the carb needs to be removed, disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, reassembled and it should run well. It is a very easy job once the carb is on the work bench. If you don't have the skills, then a dealer or independent shop will.

I hope this helps!

The problem is that the bike doesn't want to start. So I guess that disassembling the carb is my only option right now. I'm afraid however that the gas tank itself may be dirty as well, so when I clean the carb and put it back on, should I pour some gas additive in the tank before starting the bike, so that the carb doesn't get dirty again? Thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,939 Posts
I had a brand new Reflex 250 ABS, in 2002, basically the same Scoot you have and it was a great and fun ride!

"With interest picking up and added pressure from Vespa returning the North American market, Honda and Yamaha steadily bolstered their lineup by introducing several new scooters over the new few years.

The first to be added was the Reflex (model code NSS250), which was conceived as a Helix replacement although the two scooters would wind up being sold alongside each other for much of the Reflex’s run. The Reflex was sold in two versions with the premium version offering ABS, a first for Honda’s scooters. The Reflex was the first all new scooter model from Honda since 1987 in the USA and 1994 in Canada." From motorscooterguide.net

Once you get to the carb, pull the gas line and drain ALL the gas out and look at it just to see if it looks cloudy or dirty and if not, Overhaul your carb and put it all together and fill the tank up and use a good dose of FI/ Carb cleaner and go for a nice ride.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a brand new Reflex 250 ABS, in 2002, basically the same Scoot you have and it was a great and fun ride!

"With interest picking up and added pressure from Vespa returning the North American market, Honda and Yamaha steadily bolstered their lineup by introducing several new scooters over the new few years.

The first to be added was the Reflex (model code NSS250), which was conceived as a Helix replacement although the two scooters would wind up being sold alongside each other for much of the Reflex’s run. The Reflex was sold in two versions with the premium version offering ABS, a first for Honda’s scooters. The Reflex was the first all new scooter model from Honda since 1987 in the USA and 1994 in Canada." From motorscooterguide.net

Once you get to the carb, pull the gas line and drain ALL the gas out and look at it just to see if it looks cloudy or dirty and if not, Overhaul your carb and put it all together and fill the tank up and use a good dose of FI/ Carb cleaner and go for a nice ride.:)

Thanks for the detailed info! I'll report back when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reporting back. The scooter is up and running, but the problem was not in the carb. When I had changed the spark plug, I apparently didn't put the wire on propely and it had wiggled itself loose. Kinda embarrassed, but at least the bike is now rideable again. Thank you all for the help!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,106 Posts
Thanks for letting us know

Reactions: dimitartachev

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,147 Posts
changed the spark plug. After all that the bike was running ok.
You did mention that you fiddled with the plus and plug wires. Goes to show, you need to recheck everything done prior to any later problems. Glad you found the source and let us know. You done good as they say. ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: dimitartachev
1 - 10 of 10 Posts