Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike sat for 3 years. I've gone through the basics to get it running or so I thought. 1st, fuel pump not turning on at all and horn not working. I activate horn and I get clicking in the fuse box relays. They also click once when bike stand is retracted or when kill switch on handle is centered. I'm not a mechanic but I'm handy and lost. Please assist if possible. I swapped relays and same result.

Greg

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

This may be simple; you haven't explained; is the battery fully charged? Is it reading at least 12.5 v.? Also, is your kill switch open?

--

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a meter to check it, yet. The battery was completely dead and spent the night on the charger. Kill switch is open and the battery has enough juice to start the bike as i got it to run on starting fluid. If it has enough power to do that wouldn't it be enough to power the fuel pump and or horn at least? Maybe the system is more temperamental than I thought and it needs a 100% battery to run everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, even if you charge a battery it could still be ****, on top of that make sure both terminal are free from corrosion and check the main ground connections. You can pick up an inexpensive digital volt meter and it will help.what style charger are you using? Trickle charger?

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hi,ya Greg,

So does the horn work now as well as the fuel pump? Sounds like you have an interlock with the side stand,
that the starter relay won't kick in to complete circuit to the starter until kick stand is in proper position to
allow that to happen.

Interesting about the engine run switch. Are you saying it is also the starter switch? as you say relay clicks
when bike stand is retracted or kill switch centered.

For the most part when ignition sw. is 'ON' power goes to kill sw. with kill sw. ON power goes to ignition
system and to one side of starter switch. other side of starter sw. to starter solenoid.

For the hell of it, jump bike to car battery engine not running maybe it is just not enough amps in old battery.
if car battery fires everything over, get a new battery and a battery tender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,ya Greg,

So does the horn work now as well as the fuel pump? Sounds like you have an interlock with the side stand,
that the starter relay won't kick in to complete circuit to the starter until kick stand is in proper position to
allow that to happen.

Interesting about the engine run switch. Are you saying it is also the starter switch? as you say relay clicks
when bike stand is retracted or kill switch centered.

For the most part when ignition sw. is 'ON' power goes to kill sw. with kill sw. ON power goes to ignition
system and to one side of starter switch. other side of starter sw. to starter solenoid.

For the hell of it, jump bike to car battery engine not running maybe it is just not enough amps in old battery.
if car battery fires everything over, get a new battery and a battery tender.
I have a similar issue. I went for a ride on Sunday night with no problems whatsoever. Tuesday morning I walked the bike out of the garage with kickstand down for a few steps then put it up (ignition not engaged). Then when I tried to start it nothing happened. I have a neutral light, kickstand up, ignition on, and kill switch on and get nothing. No horn, lights (other than dashboard), or turn signals. I bench tested the starter with the bike battery (battery read 12.75V) and the starter spinned right up. All I get is clicking in the fuse box when the bike should be firing up. Any advice?

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I have a similar issue. I went for a ride on Sunday night with no problems whatsoever. Tuesday morning I walked the bike out of the garage with kickstand down for a few steps then put it up (ignition not engaged). Then when I tried to start it nothing happened. I have a neutral light, kickstand up, ignition on, and kill switch on and get nothing. No horn, lights (other than dashboard), or turn signals. I bench tested the starter with the bike battery (battery read 12.75V) and the starter spinned right up. All I get is clicking in the fuse box when the bike should be firing up. Any advice?
seemz to me the battery might be down just enough to not pull the relay all the way in.
10 volts will work a starter but the starter solenoid being wound with a voltage sensitive
(a.k.a.medium fine wire) coil wants to feel more than that. I'd say put the girl on a battery
tender for a few hours or jump to ur car/truck battery and see what she does.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Sounds like a fuse, when u said u hear a click that is why I thot bat might need a bit of juice but now
that I think of it, lotta bikes have a relay that works the starter solenoid and with no horn, lights. OMG
how about the radio. yup get out that trusty multi-meter and check fuses.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Does your bike need the clutch lever pulled in to start it?
Nanny features (n) Motorcycles were far too reliable before they added them.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Does your bike need the clutch lever pulled in to start it?
Nanny features (n) Motorcycles were far too reliable before they added them.
YUP wanna b really safe,buy a bike, hang out at biker bars, look like a biker
but Don't ride! F that! and get rid of those dumb-ass safety hook-ups.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bike sat for 3 years. I've gone through the basics to get it running or so I thought. 1st, fuel pump not turning on at all and horn not working. I activate horn and I get clicking in the fuse box relays. They also click once when bike stand is retracted or when kill switch on handle is centered. I'm not a mechanic but I'm handy and lost. Please assist if possible. I swapped relays and same result.

Greg
Your battery can read proper voltage and still be bad. It probably fails under load. If your alternator is putting out charging voltage and your batteries are going bad it is usually because of corrosion in the wiring connections. Start at the black ground wire attached to the engine block. Remove the wire use a wire brush or light sandpaper and clean the terminals and the area where the connector touches the block. Apply a light coat of spark plug grease on the connection after reinstalling. Check the wire terminal for corrosion in the wire also. Follow that wire back to the next connection and do the same. Do this until you have cleaned all the terminal connections. Then do the same with the red positive wire starting at the starter and alternator. When that is complete check your battery voltage it should be 12.5 to 13 with the engine off. depending on its state of charge. Start the engine and read the battery voltage at the battery again. It should read between 13.5 to 14.3 VDC
If it does not read at least 1 to 1.5 volts higher with the engine at 2-3000 RPM you have a bad alternator or regular. If it reads too high your regular needs replacement. Cleaning the wire and wire terminal connection solves most electrical problem on motorcycles. Cost nothing to do but take a little time. For the plug type connectors get some contact cleaner, spray both male and female allow to dry and plug back together. Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts