Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The bike starts, goes into gear but won't activate to move the bike. It has no problem going into 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, even neutral. It just makes a noise in gear. Any ideas?.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
is there any resistance when you pull and let out the clutch? Also make and model of the bike. Is there a chain/belt/driveshaft? Is there supposed to be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"is there any resistance when you pull and let out the clutch? Also make and model of the bike. Is there a chain/belt/driveshaft? Is there supposed to be?"

Very little resistance when pulling & letting out the clutch.

2000 BMW K1200RS

It has a driveshaft. Yes there is supposed to be a driveshaft.

Thanks for replying!

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Did this just happen or is this a bargain you just picked up?

Is the noise coming from the engine area or farther back by the rear wheel?

Guesses are gear box problem or spine problem on drive-line.

Put it on the center stand(it does have on correct) and see if the rear wheel will spin in gear with no weight on it.

Of course if it's making noise I'm betting a gear has fragmented.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonderful news

The bike ended up needing a new driveshaft. The old driveshaft's yolk was bad.

So if anyone else has this issue, look into the driveshaft > gearbox (looked good, functioned as normal) > clutch (replaced this anyway since the plates were low).

Now I need to reset my ABSII. Any insight on how to do that on a '00 K1200RS, please chime in, thanks!

Time to enjoy my :coffee::71baldboy: She rides gooooooooooood lol

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Thanks for circling back to let us know you solved the problem. Glad it was just the yolk and your bike is running!!

Here's a YouTube video showing how to reset your ABS II.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absii 2000 bmw k1200rs

Thanks for circling back to let us know you solved the problem. Glad it was just the yolk and your bike is running!!

Here's a YouTube video showing how to reset your ABS II.

Thanks Oz, appreciate the feedback. I checked that video out and the blue diagnostic plug seen @ 0:43 is different than the one on my bike. (See screenshot, can't embed any images until I have 15 posts).

The two other images are what I believe to be my diagnostic plug. I could very well be wrong, any info is appreciated :smiley_drinkcoffee:

Attachments

·
So long
2,739 Posts
The diagnostic plug on my '07 K1200R Sport is round. I don't know what it's like for your '00 K1200RS, but I suspect it may be round too. I base that on the image shown for the GS-911 tool suggested for your bike. GS-911 is a tool to read and clear Diagnostic Fault Codes. If you belong to MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) you may be able to find someone in your area to borrow it from. Here's a link for the GS-911 tool. http://www.gs911usa.com/Models_Supported.html

Suggest you check out the BMWLT.COM forum. They have a how-to thread for resetting ABS II. Jump there by clicking here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts