Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first passenger today and I definitely notice a difference in the handling, I felt bumps more and the uneven roads and ruts seemed to pull me harder, and I'm wondering if I should have added some tire pressure. I definitely noticed a difference a couple of weeks ago when I checked my tire pressure and both were underinflated, and I'm a heavyweight anyways, so when I pumped them up to the manufacturers specs it handled much better. Should I have bumped up my tire pressure before I took a passenger?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My bike calls for a couple more pounds of pressure in the back tire when riding two up. You need to check your owners manual for their settings You also want to check your shocks for the correct setting. A lower setting will have a comfortable ride but you may bottom out with 2 up. Make sure you set both shocks to the same setting or it will effect the handling. Try using the rear brake more while doing 2 up. And avoid potholes or your passenger may smack u across the head!!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
....................avoid potholes or your passenger may smack u across the head!!
So true!! (lol).

Tires are amazing things, really. They can take a LOT of abuse. If the passenger is fairly small in stature and weight, I wouldn't beef up the pressure. I'd CHECK my pressure anyway, before a ride, regardless of having a passenger on board or not.

As stated, you SHOULD kick up your rear shocks a notch (both).

Main thing with a passenger is to make sure they are suited up properly (no shortcuts). Give them the "this is how you mount and dismount" talk, and help them understand that "all they have to do is ride." Some "riders" think they have a job to do (leaning and so forth) and can mess ya up when they try and lean the WRONG way!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
As stated, you SHOULD kick up your rear shocks a notch (both).
the Boulevard has one hidden shock, and it's a bitch to get to....just like the one on my Yamaha....oh how I wish I had easy to get at shocks lol

but I agree, when I had my daughter ride with me I felt the difference, but the air pressure was fine....I kind of wished I could get at the shock easier, but since I couldn't I just dealt with it...she didn't ride with me much though so it wasn't that big of a deal for me....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If I remember right, you are a new rider right? If so, I'd be a little hesitant about taking passengers yet. As you have already seen, riding with a passenger is of in itself its own risk. Different handling, ect. We (I'm including myself here, as I'm a new rider too)still have alot to learn yet, and we don't want to find out what it feels like to go too hot in a corner with a passenger till we figure out what to do in a situation like that with just ourselves. But some sage advise that I was given, is to practice emergency stops with your passenger, and things like that. Start off slow, then speed up. Make sure you can handle a sudden stop with a passenger, it's totally different than a sudden stop by yourself. In no way am I trying to belittle you, I'd be belittleing myself too being so new. My suggestion is get a few more months of riding in before taking on someone elses life.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
So true!! (lol).

Some "riders" think they have a job to do (leaning and so forth) and can mess ya up when they try and lean the WRONG way!!

-Soupy
I've seen a rider go down because the passenger decided she was going to lean the other way. Best advice I was given when I was on the back was to just be one with the bike. Keep body inline with driver, and to never ever fidget or adjust your seating position without either coming to a stop "and" letting the driver know, or at higher speeds as long as the driver knows what you are doing. I prefer to wait till a stop, it's just safer, but I always let the driver know so they can steady the bike. Some people make ok passengers, others not so much....

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
.......................My suggestion is get a few more months of riding in before taking on someone elses life.
Some great advice there, grasshopper. You should listen to her!! On my FIRST bike, I waited a YEAR before I took a passenger. I wanted to be SURE that I had a really good feel (when you become "one" with it.......you'll know that day when it hits) of the bike before I took anyone with me.

Then after 10 years of riding, and 8 years non-riding, I bought this NEW bike (to "me") and started riding again. It all came back really quickly to me, but I STILL wouldn't take passengers (my adult daughters) for at LEAST couple months, while I worked out any "learning curve" issues with this different bike.

As for the single shock setup..........sorry bout that. the same rule applies (that you should increase the tension) but obviously it is only one shock, versus two. Sorry to hear that it is designed in such a way as to make it difficult to get to.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
I've seen a rider go down because the passenger decided she was going to lean the other way. Best advice I was given when I was on the back was to just be one with the bike. Keep body inline with driver, and to never ever fidget or adjust your seating position without either coming to a stop "and" letting the driver know, or at higher speeds as long as the driver knows what you are doing. I prefer to wait till a stop, it's just safer, but I always let the driver know so they can steady the bike. Some people make ok passengers, others not so much....
Right on.:thumbsup: The biggest issue is emergency stops. Can you handle somewhere around 150 lbs being slammed against your back unexpectedly. It happens. You and your passenger are all nice and relaxed, both taking in all the country you are riding through and some idiot pops out of nowhere. Your passenger was looking in a complete different direction so has no idea what is going on. Get the picture? You have to be able to handle that whole thing on your own safely. So think before you have fun trying to impress everyone with a passenger. Can you handle that extra dead weight?

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
.................. So think before you have fun trying to impress everyone with a passenger. Can you handle that extra dead weight?
Amen to THAT!! "Dead" for REAL if you aren't ready to take the responsibility and have good skills!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
When I'm a passenger on the bike, I'm very picky as to who I ride with. I made the mistake of riding with someone I barely knew once. He proceeded up the highway doing 90 mph, doing a wheelie, with me on the back!! Dude, let me off, I'll walk home from here...I don't think I'd ever get on the back of a bike with someone who hasn't ridden for very long. You need to have trust in your driver. If there's no trust, you'll be tensed up and the driver will feel it. There's been many times that I'm so comfortable with who I'm riding with, I tend to not hold on. I have to keep reminding myself for safety reasons to keep a handle on it.

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
My wife used to fall asleep back there. Man there is no way in "H" I could do that.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Whistling dixie here.....yes, I'm guilty of falling asleep.....Joe will look in the rear veiw and see my eyes closed and purposely hit a pothole...I wake up to see him snicker...

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
Oh that's nasty. My wife did get woke up once just after I drifted across a glazed over overpass. I was glad she was asleep too because I know she would have had problems with it. I just pulled the clutch in and just allowed it to drift to the outside. Once I it the regular payment it jerked back in line and that's when she woke up. She just said, what was that. I shrugged and told her later and her eyes go huge.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike says 33 front and 36 back for solo or with a passenger but I did check it and it was down a few on both so I aired it up and I think that helped as my second trip with a passenger felt better. I just checked it a few days ago and added some then so I was surprised I had lost air.

I am a new rider as I'm only a month in but I've been riding 60 miles a day roundtrip to work and all over the place on weekends so I'm feeling pretty comfortable on it. It was while back now but I rode dirt bikes as a kid for years so I think that is helping my learning curve. I might be a bit premature on taking passengers but I take it pretty easy, especially on curves, and I feel comfortable doing it or I wouldn't do it. She's pretty precious cargo, my niece, so I'm very careful but I did notice what some of you said and that is when she adjusted back there I felt everything and I had to tell her not to do that.

I'm definitely worried about sudden stops but if there is one place this actually helps me it is here and that is that I'm a heavyweight so I can take 150 lbs smashing against me better then a lot of people cuz I'm like a brick wall. Either way I stay as far away from other cars as I can and if they don't like it they can go around.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Glad you are getting the 60 mile round trip experience but remember, when you put a passenger on behind you their life is in your hands. I must agree with the others in that I just don't think you should be taking a passenger yet. You just need a LOT more riding experience. I'm not trying to condemn you, I just don't feel it is safe for your passenger. Get a few thousand miles of experience before putting someone back there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
150 pounds at say speeds of 55 mph is going to be more force than you think. She's also got to know that during an emergency stop, she needs to dig into the pegs to help rid of some of the pressure. You need to practice emergency stops with your partner. Start off with slow, then slowly speed up. You need to know what to expect before it really happens. It will take you by complete surprise. I myself will never take on a passenger. I don't need the added responsibility of someone else's life. I know alot of bikers who don't take on passengers for the same reason. My feelings may change when I have more wing time, but for now, I've got to worry about my own life, not someone elses.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also, she can squeeze her thighs against you to help relieve some of that force. It would be easier on you rather than a full force body slam which will send you forward as well. Enmergency stops are one reason why passengers need to be paying attention to the road just as much as the rider. If she's not paying attention, and you emergency stop without her knowing, it's going to be very very scary, you won't have time to warn her. My job as a passenger is to look for things the rider may miss.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
One more thing, when you are checking the tire pressure, are you doing it while they are cold or warm? Should always be checked before you ride. You'll get different readings while warm. If you are losing pressure, there's a good chance you may have a slow leak. That needs to be addressed. Getting a flat on a bike is not a very fun thing at all. You can ride a rim on a car, but not on a bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can any one help

I have a 1980 flt tour glide I had work done on it carb cleaned. Changed the orginal muffler pipes wit stright pipes. New air filter. Now it chugs at loe ad high speeds about 6 miles in at 70 miles an hour she stalls I let off the gass and she kicks back in. When I slow to 45 it just chugs about every mile or so. Sometimes more. I changed the plugs and gaped them at 40 this caused the engine to get hot so I put the old plugs back in an it coold down. During the day its hot out and gives me issus at night comming home from work 12:30 am it runs 95% better. How can I coll the engine. It runs hot but not enough to burn my legs but I can feel it. Run priminum fuel. 20 /50 oil. Just started doing this a month ago. The work was done 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I didn't read every post but have you checked the load capacity of your bike? The reason I ask is my 1800 with wife and I on it and all the junk she needs to take along we are maxed out. I weigh 260 and she is 145 so that is over 400 pounds. The load limit on my bike is 418 lbs. So tell a woman she can only take 13 lbs of stuff on a two or three day ride.

I think you get my point, you could be overloading your bike and it isn't going to handle or stop well if you are.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts