Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was thinking about buying a 2 stroke motorcycle and have one major question. How do I top and bottom end rebuild a 2 stroke motorcycle and whether I should look at a 4 stroke purely depending on the price and regularity of the top and bottom rebuilds.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. When I owned a 2 stroke, a rebuild was bone simple. You replaced any rings and maybe pistons from your original engine and the bored out the cylinders to the next available bore diameter. A cylinder hone got you set up to break in the new bore and rings. A 4 stroke, by comparison, was quite complicated to deal with because you could not simply lift off the head, you had to deal with things like valves. Given a choice I would always do a 2 stroke rebuild.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. When I owned a 2 stroke, a rebuild was bone simple. You replaced any rings and maybe pistons from your original engine and the bored out the cylinders to the next available bore diameter. A cylinder hone got you set up to break in the new bore and rings. A 4 stroke, by comparison, was quite complicated to deal with because you could not simply lift off the head, you had to deal with things like valves. Given a choice I would always do a 2 stroke rebuild.
Agreed. While a 4 stroke will last much longer, a 2 stroke is much easier to rebuild. And often makes more horsepower than a 4 stroke per given CCs. ;)
I would often keep extra pistons, rings and re honed cylinders in stock so I could be up and riding again within a few hours if I had a mishap. I was one of the last guys in my group to change over to a 4 stroke dirt bike.
I love the smell of 2 stroke smoke in the morning. ;)

Edit; BRAAPP!!:icon_cool:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A 2 stroke will put out much more power than a similar displacement 4 stroke. That was not the question the OP had. My 500cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke would quickly walk away from a 750cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke of the same era. The question was more about maintenance and that is a place that a 2 stroke really shines. Unfortunately they are not clean burning so in the US they are basically no longer available for street use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts