Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done rebuilding the carb on a logsplitter that had the strangest mud inside the float bowl. Sort of like clay. But it would dissolve in carb cleaner???

I thought it was perhaps sawdust combined with dirt...

Then I remembered a mentor telling me about old two-stroke fuel, made using gasoline with ethanol, turning to a brown "mud" over time.

Mind you, this is a four-stroke Honda motor, but the owner appeared to have filled the tank with 2-stroke mix before it quit running.

Usually, a 4-stroke mistakenly filled with 2-stroke, no harm, no foul, just clean the plug, drain and refill the tank start it up and kill a few mosquitoes. But not in this case.

Not only was the main jet clogged, but the "clay" had apparently adhered or baked onto to the intake valve stem, causing IT to stick.

So yeah. No matter what else you do, drain all old fuel in the spring from whatever chainsaw, lawnmower, motorcycle, whatever you have that's been sitting all winter. Or if you buy a bike that has sat awhile. 2-stroke or otherwise. if the fuel bowl has a drain, drain it too.

Adding Stabil, Seafoam, sNakeoil, topping UP the tank, or running it completely dry, whatever may help but should be done in COMBINATION with starting over with fresh fuel each spring. The best aftermarket products can do is SLOW the oxidation of fuel caused by the added ethanol.

I make fresh 50:1 every time I use my chainsaw, string trimmer, pouring the old batch into my pickup truck where it becomes 500:1...and perhaps lubricates the injectors.

If you can top up your scooter with ethanol-free BEFORE you go into winter storage, that's probably your best scenario. Keeping the tank filled to the brim minimizes the condensation of water on those cold winter nights.

I'd heard about 2-stroke turning to mud, but this was the first time I actually saw it. Strange stuff!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts