Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,465 Posts
Exactly right Crawsack. If you think something is free, you aren't looking close enough... Corporations tend to view their costs with a microscope, a better idea may be to look at the horizon with a telescope.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just put a deposit down on a bike. The owner was negotiating the 2.9% fee. But at least he was honest and didn't contend that the credit card companies (or payment processing companies) were charging me that fee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just put a deposit down on a bike. The owner was negotiating the 2.9% fee. But at least he was honest and didn't contend that the credit card companies (or payment processing companies) were charging me that fee.
I mean the payment processing company is charging you that, it's just being passed on to you instead of being baked into the price or the merchant eating that fee which isn't reasonable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I mean the payment processing company is charging you that, it's just being passed on to you instead of being baked into the price or the merchant eating that fee which isn't reasonable.
Fair enough. I wanted the bike and I wanted to use my credit card. I could have always walked. Great thread and, at the end of the day, I bought my first bike, which is what I was after all along.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,655 Posts
Did I make miss what bike you bought?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did I make miss what bike you bought?
I was talking about it in another thread. 2019 Honda CB300F (2019 CBF300N) according to the VIN. 7,000 miles.

But I don't know how wise of a decision it was seeing that I was having a hard time clicking into fourth gear. Was getting resistance, as if I was in sixth gear and could not shift up farther. Could be a mechanical issue w/ the bike, or it could just be the fact that I am a newbie who had never been above third gear and doesn't have the benefit of a gear position indicator.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
Funny how the merchants won't discout you that 2.9% foe paying cash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny how the merchants won't discout you that 2.9% foe paying cash.
Because the price that you're getting is the "cash price" already, and you pay a surcharge to use a card. Any place that gives you a cash discount has already incorporated card processing fees into their price because the majority of their clientele pay with card. A place that charges a card processing fee usually deals mostly in cash or check.

Basically, you pay a card fee most anywhere, there's no getting around it

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,373 Posts
I was talking about it in another thread. 2019 Honda CB300F (2019 CBF300N) according to the VIN. 7,000 miles.

But I don't know how wise of a decision it was seeing that I was having a hard time clicking into fourth gear. Was getting resistance, as if I was in sixth gear and could not shift up farther. Could be a mechanical issue w/ the bike, or it could just be the fact that I am a newbie who had never been above third gear and doesn't have the benefit of a gear position indicator.
You shouldn't have any issue running through all of your gears. If you're getting a significant amount of resistance getting into fourth, I wouldn't force it. It sounds like you have a mechanical problem, and if you bought it from a dealer, take it right back and let them take care of it. They shouldn't be selling bikes with a problem like that.

Out of curiosity, when you do make it into fourth, does fifth, (and sixth if you have it) go easy?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
363 Posts
They're definitely considered toys, to the bank that owns the bike atleast. You're never going to get a % charge for it being considered a toy. When your dealership works out a finance quote with the bank and insurance, the charge for it being a nonessential is already worked into the deal. If you're buying it outright then there's no "toy charge", also you likely won't have to get as much insurance coverage. There's never a covid charge that's just pulled straight from his ass. The only things they can charge you for is interest, documentation, freight, prep, registration, and the bike itself. I'd recommend visiting another dealership and finding some honest guys. And to a dealership, credit cards aren't cash they're cards. Cash is considered cash. I've seen people walk in with a fat envelope and ride out in a hour not paying a cent more than asking price, ESPECIALLY with used bikes.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts