Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to remove some trashed bearings on a CB750 The spacer between the bearings is probably only 1/16th smaller than the bearing center. I could borrow a blind bearing puller from a box auto store, but I ran across this one and like the concept.

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Motorcycle-Wheel-Bearing-Puller/

Instead of beating the bearing out of there, I think that I will thread a nut on the end and use a large socket to span the bearing and pull against the wheel hub. If anyone has a better idea, I am all ears.

Slum

·
Ace Tuner
2,938 Posts
Yes, one side of the spacer can be pushed to the side just enough to give you room to get to the bearings edge.

Put a steel rod down to the inside edge of the bearing and tap the spacer to the side.
Do this on both sides till you find the side that gives you enough space to catch the edge of the bearing with the steel rod.
Then tap/work the bearing till it moves a little, then knock it out. (Your steel rod has to have flat/squared off/not rounded edges).

After you get it out you can see how and why this works this way.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I have to remove some trashed bearings on a CB750 The spacer between the bearings is probably only 1/16th smaller than the bearing center. I could borrow a blind bearing puller from a box auto store, but I ran across this one and like the concept.

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Motorcycle-Wheel-Bearing-Puller/

Instead of beating the bearing out of there, I think that I will thread a nut on the end and use a large socket to span the bearing and pull against the wheel hub. If anyone has a better idea, I am all ears.

Slum
What you're describing is basically making up a field expedient wheel bearing puller. If you can use a hardened bolt, such as a socket head cap screw, you'll stand a better chance of it staying on the 1/16" ledge without deforming and coming off, but careful work should get the job done.

Semifast's method should also work. If you have an actual bearing punch it will be much easier. (I ground the tip of an old punch to shape, but always keep my eyes open to find an old one at a garage sale or something.) Just go easy and tap-tap-tap your way all around the bearing.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Bearings

The wheel bearings have always come out for me using the punch method. On my sidecar the [email protected]#$%^& ( East Indian workers ) did not install a spacer in the wheel or the swing arm. That made removal really easy.
I had trouble with the steering head bearings on the XS11. There was a minimum amount of bearing to bang on. I used a very long large screw driver, that had the steel part go through the handle. That gave me leverage to force against the bearing. Had to grind the tip a few times.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I've welded a nut to the inner bearing race. Use a nut that just fits inside the race. Fasten the nut to a slide hammer and pop it right out if you only have access from one side.

OR weld a small steel plug into the center race and drive it out from the opposite side if it's open and you can do so.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep. Welding is so handy. I don't know people get along without it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am a bit embarrassed that the idea did not work out. Once I understood that the spacer would move to the side, the punch was able to move it a bit, and then I just kept moving around the perimeter to keep it square in the race.

All three bearings are done, but I think the bike would benefit from new rubber drive cushions before I re-mount the wheel. Meanwhile, the Magna has new tires, so the Slum is not without a bike.

I like the welding idea as well if it ever becomes necessary.

Thank you my friends.

Slum

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Wheel bearings.

Back in my track days wheel bearings on the race bikes got a lot of attention, along with steering head bearings, oh heck just about everything got attention.
But I had not changed any until a few years ago, when I started collecting a few extra ( absolutely necessary ) older bikes.
My side car was a particular disaster of engineering incompetence. Fortunately there is a retired machinist on my Island. And he rides.

I still have a few to change.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I've used a form of the welding trick on just an inner race that was stuck. I welded a bead around the inside of the race and the heat caused the race to just pop out by itself. An old small engine mechanic showed me that one.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep. You just have to be careful that you don't get it too hot and blow a hole that welds it in place. More trouble that you can imagine then. Don't ask how I know.:D

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I've used a form of the welding trick on just an inner race that was stuck. I welded a bead around the inside of the race and the heat caused the race to just pop out by itself. An old small engine mechanic showed me that one.
Yep... an old standby 'trick'. When the weld bead cools and contracts it shrinks the race and it'll fall right out... EXCEPT... unless you inadvertently lap the weld onto the housing. Well, then you have Hog's situation and he doesn't want to share his misadventure... :biggrin:

:p

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It's called not paying attention doc.:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts