Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a beginning rider. I recently took the BRC so question, what type of bike did y'all start on when u were a beginner rider? I want to get the CBR-600 but Idk if I should go down to a 300 for my 1st bike

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know much about that bike but I'm sure some of the members will be along to help you. Good Luck with whatever bike you get.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Welcome from northern NJ, lot of opinions on that subject. I would suggest that you buy within your riding ability. Not necessarily less CC's, but rather a more civil standard motorcycle.
Wish you well! Stay safe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I started with and still have a TU250x. It's a great little bike, but a lot will probably depend on how you want to ride. If going on the freeway is your thing, that's not the TU250s forte, but if you want to zip around town and go on the highway, the TUX will do that with aplomb.

Another thing to consider is if you get a smaller first bike, which is a wise choice for a beginner, it doesn't have to be your last bike either. The big boys will be there when you're ready.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with all of the feedback. I think I started on what is known as a mini bike. Eventually graduated to a 100 cc Yamaha and then on to an AMC Harely 750. (that dates me)
Eventually you will get to a bigger bike but for now, drive what you can (passengers are riders). If you invest a lot of $$ into it, imagine how you will feel if you drop it so get something manageable first. Just stay safe!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As previously suggested, there has been a lot of talk on this subject. I like to break it down into two different scenarios like this:

#1 You buy a new CBR300 for $6000 out the door. You ride it for 2 years, dropping it lightly once or twice along the way. You sell it in 2017 for $3500. Net loss:$2500

#2 You buy a 2008 Ninja 250 in great shape for $2500. You ride it for 2 years, dropping it lightly once or twice along the way. You sell it in 2017 for $2000. Net loss: $500

In both scenarios you have ridden essentially the same bike for 2 years, with the same riding skills gained and after 2 years you are ready to buy the CBR600 that you have always wanted. The difference is, the money that you lose in scenario #1 is enough to buy the bike outright in scenario #2. This is your first bike, not your last. Motorcycling is not about the status of how much bike you can plant your a$$ on. There is an aspect of being cool and looking cool to it, but there is nothing cool about being a new rider on an expensive bike that you don't know how to ride. Start with a bike that you won't cry over when you spill it.

Oh, and that thought that just went through your head again...forget about it. You will drop your first bike. We all did.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts

And listen to the those above. Start slow and work up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buy a used 250 or 300. I'm 4500 miles on my 300 And it's been great. There is a lot to learn, mistakes on a smaller cc will be more forgiving than a 600. There have been many times where I've done something wrong in the begging and if I were on a 600 I'd be on the ground. Someone once said on an earlier thread "it's more fun to go fast on a small bike, than going slow on a bigger one". Take your time and develop your skills. Good luck

·
Registered
943 Posts
You don't mention your age or physical size and both of those will have an effect on what you are comfortable on.

I started with a Honda 50 at age 15 (1964) and by the following year I was very happy to upgrade to a Honda 305 which was a faster and more powerful bike but still light. I didn't move up to a Harley FLH until my 30s and that was a BIG step!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts