Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Slow Down.. You'll See More
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, soo I just started riding last sring when I bought this 500. I had to have it delivered home b/c I didn't know how to ride! Anyhoo its bone stock ~8000 mile (6k when I bought it). I need to do all this on the cheap, so I include what I'm paying for parts. My plans are new (2me) drag bars, fiberglass rear fender (I got for $50), straight drag pipes, seat and whatever tweaks I can come up with. Ihave never done any progect like this, let alone blog it so brear with me as it WILL take for ever (hopefully dun for spring riding).

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My main mod it to make a fiberglass fender from a vulcan 800 work on my 500 (paid $50 on CL). Keep in mind I have never worked with metal or fiberglass before. I recently purchased a mig welder that I've played with but nothing too serious. Blue tape is where I think i'll end up hacking it off. that brake light has to go I think! The pipes there are also a mock up for now ...more on them later

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never done one of these forums before soo if anyone has suggestions or comments on the way I'm posting let me know. The only reason I'm doing this is to help my other brothers out, b/c I couldn't find much for vulcan mods. is there a way to seperate pics with text?

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Heres a side view of the fender mock up. For these pipes, I just went to the local muffler shop and had him slant cut and swage a couple lengths of 1.5" exhaust tubing. He charged me $18. Then I'm going to wrap them from header back in black header wrap. Brand spankin new custom exhaust ~$68. Sorry Neighbors.. I'll probably have baffle them some how later, but being a 500 its not tooo bad.

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the grey peice it a bracket I fabbed to attach the new fender to the frame. This metal working stuff is fun.ha. the second pic is of the stock exhaust hanger I dont know if I'm gonna hack on that or try to make a new one. My plan is to be able to return everything back to stock, so the less hackin, the better. Forgive me as a juimp around to different parts of the bike from time to time as my ADHD kicks in.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm looking forward to seeing your progress. i've never chopped up a bike before, but all the projects i see on this forum are edging me closer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking on the Youtube at some Rat bikes and bobbers, some cool ideas out there to take and make your own. I prefer the "cafe" racer look but I think the shape of the frame dictates what you can do? I've seen a bunch of bobbers with no front fender and I don't think I could deal with that in the rain :D

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey Marty, Yea I'm way into the cafes also but they're more for the old Honda CBs. I thought about rebuilding one of those into a cafe for my first project, but $$ is tight so I figured I could do this over the winter on the cheap, since I already had the bike. i have thought about the front fender/rain thing too. I haven't hacked on the fender or mounts yet, so that still reversable. I don't do much riding in the rain (ha thats funny cuz I leave in the NW), so I need to see if its tolerable in the occasional downpour.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I grew up in Vancouver and I know what its like to be Soggy...Here is my favorite bike that I've found online for ideas...simple and clean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
what size is that sample bike?

The mat in the foreground shows ??Japanese lettering. I've seem other 'clean machines from overseas ...we are not alone.

But the question of making a cafe from such a cruiser frame could well be awkward. However I can see it making an awesome bobber.

·
Registered
134 Posts
chop this?

oh btw. dunno what would be a proper thread but since we"re talking about style and looks; I found this online this week.

A 1950 Honda... and not the earliest model illustrated. Actually, this is the second or third style they made.
It's sorta cool but also reminds me of a toy.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the fender hacked on and mocked it up again. It sits a little higher than I like but I'll revisit it after I get the seat done. I think I'll end up mounting a metal fender to the swing arm. What do yall think?

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I heated up the bars to bend them forward more, so hopefully I can use them instead of spending $$ on drag bars and risers (I know..I'm freakin' cheap). It gave me about 2" forward. The chrome is jacked but thats going away anyway.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took apart the seat to see if I can use the pan. I think its doable, but it sits to high on the stock bracket. nothing a grinder cant fix. sorry for the blurry pic, shop too small.

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so what do yall thing of the fender (honestly). Is it workable or should I start over (there goes $50)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you can lower the fender or the back of the bike i think it'll look good, it fits the bike pretty well though. you are alot braver than I, but then again I just got this bike a week ago :)

1 - 20 of 153 Posts