Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a persistent and very small oil leak/drip. It all started sometime back when I had a noise in the left side (alternator) cover. I pulled the cover off and replaced the gasket and then the leak started. Because there is so much stuff attached to the side cover, running around the side cover, and just the shape of the side cover itself, it is extrememly difficult to see exactly where the oil is coming from. I have since pulled the cover off again and really cleaned the gasket surfaces and replaced the gasket again. I thought I had replaced the shift lever gasket as well, but now it might be coming from there. Since it is a hassle to get the cover off, I want to get some opinions before I take it back apart. Is there any real pressure inside that cover? Could something like the oil pressure sensor be leaking and allowing the case to pressurize and push oil out? I know the cover could be warped and I can test that, but it is unlikely. I want to order all the possible gaskets before I take the cover off, but things like the oil pressure sensor are fairly expensive.

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
When you replaced the gasket, did you go over the surface of both sides with a razor and rubbing alcohol to get all the old gasket, dirt, grit, and grime off? Did you torque the bolts to spec when you replaced them? Both of those can cause slight oil leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the second time. The first time I wasn't sure, so after it started leaking the first time, I went back in and re-did it. That is when I started to think that maybe it was something more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Run the bike until it is hot. Then wipe off all extenal oil and dirt. Let it sit overnight with papertowel under the suspected area. Next day carefully examine it. My guess it is the shifter seal, which should be replaced. On the cover I use some gasket sealer in addition to a new gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody out there have a step by step instruction video or pics on how to r & r the shifter seal on a 1998 Honda Aero VT1100. Leaking bad. Need my pride and joy in top condition. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts