Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That's a really nice looking bike, Soupy... good luck with the sale, but sorry to think you might have to give up riding.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a follow up Appointment with the Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow. I suspect he will recommend surgery.

Even IF the "surgery" is sucessful, I have to ask myself........do I want to reverse everything they did, by riding?

Still feeling my way thru this. The one thing I DO know, is........I don't want to spend the next forty years (God Willing) in this kind of pain and limitation!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'm really sad to see this Soupy. You and l both believe in God. I want you to know that l am praying for Him to heal you, and that you get no interest in your bike whatsoever ;)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be my "ideal" situation:

A remedy comes to my back (either thru Surgery or Miraculous Healing or whatever) with no restrictions, and I can keep riding.

(No "hits" on the bike yet). Every morning I'm in the garage for a short while, and I see the bike sitting there, ready to go.

The weather for the week is basically "rain."

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
I honestly can't believe you think some guy with a knife is a better option than partially hanging upside down and working on core strength. That tells me you have more faith in someone else than being responsible for your own actions and your own ability. Sorry, that's exactly how I see it. Of course if you have a medical reason why an incline won't work then I guess this is your only option. I'll continue doing anything I can to not go under a knife again.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Why don't you hang on to the bike until after you're done with surgery or whatever the final disposition is? If it's possible that the Dr. will clear you to ride, then you won't be looking for another bike, and if he doesn't you can sell it then.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
My thoughts exactly Eye. Don't be to fast to change your lifestyle.

I am so glad I didn't sell my bike when my doc told me I should not be riding. He even told me I shouldn't be riding as a passenger. I disobeyed and jumped on the back of our Vision after a couple months. It took me 5 years to be able to start riding my own again. If I wouldn't have had it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought a new one to "try" riding.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, if truth be told, I was thinking that if I sold it, and got better after the fact...........that might be a TERRIFIC opportunity to BUY A NEW BIKE!! (lol).

Anyway, went to the Orthopedic Surgeon today after work. He told me that he does NOT recommend surgery at this point, since I am not having any extreme immobility.

The form of Surgery he would do in "my" case, (he said) was the removal of the lobes that the muscles are attached to (sewing the muscles together) on L4 and L5.

When I said I wanted to ride the bike, but didn't want to do any more damage, he said, you won't DO anymore damage from riding your bike (I couldn't believe he said that!)

So.............this weekend..............I'll ride. Don't know how it will go, but I'll ride.

Maybe I could convince Zippy to come along and keep me out of trouble?!

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
When I said I wanted to ride the bike, but didn't want to do any more damage, he said, you won't DO anymore damage from riding your bike (I couldn't believe he said that!)
I can. From what I have experienced, riding a bike won't cause any more pain or damage then driving a car will, and in some cases a little less. It all depends on what sort of problems you have and what the D-R says. Obviously we're talking about cruising and not racing dirt bikes and we're not talking about crashing.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's right...........we are NOT talking about "crashing!!" (lol)

Hog: I hear ya loud and clear. I have you listed on the page for "folks who have had surgery, and don't advocate it."
Even the Doctor was clearly non-supportive of "surgery" (speaking as he was, AS a Surgeon who does these types of surgeries) unless I was unable to function in some significant way.

As for the inversion table, I am simply unable to afford one, is all. I am not against the idea from a logical point of view. Just simply don't have the money for it.

As for working on "core strength," it is not fair to suggest that I am against it, or that I am not doing it. I am trying out a variety of "strengthening" activities ("excercises" if you will) to do just that.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
soupy1957 said:
As for the inversion table, I am simply unable to afford one, is all. I am not against the idea from a logical point of view. Just simply don't have the money for it.
Check your insurance plan. There's an outside chance it would be covered. Next trick is to get a doctor to prescribe one. Then all that's left is to purchase it and send the prescription AND a statement of medical necessity to your insurance company. Yep, a lot of steps and another kind of pain but as they say, "no pain no gain". My insurance agreed to pay half some 30 years ago. Surely they are better now.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If, at the time of my next follow up with the Orthopedic, he advocates an Inversion Table, I will pursue it thru Insurance.

As of "yesterday's" visit, he didn't. I don't know if that puts him in the camp of those who don't advocate holistic measures or not, but I suspect he would be able to express if he felt it had any real value or not.

It was very interesting to me to hear him say in essence yesterday, that riding the motorcycle wouldn't do any more damage than was already done. The question of my ability to endure whatever pain or lack of proper use of my legs and feet for balance, support, shifting and braking, is another matter of course.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
If, at the time of my next follow up with the Orthopedic, he advocates an Inversion Table, I will pursue it thru Insurance.
As with anything, if you don't think it will work, it won't. Even if it is helping. The mind is your greatest tool. Based on what I've seen here I doubt seriously you'll have a positive result. Just sayin.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,857 Posts
You can get brand new ones for half that price Eye

·
So long
2,739 Posts

As for working on "core strength... I am trying out a variety of "strengthening" activities ("excercises" if you will) to do just that.
My gym has an inversion table. Check your health plan to see if it'll pay for a gym membership.

Also, most health plans cover physical therapy. A good physical therapist is so much more effective than trying to do exercises on your own.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oz: yep, our company has membership discounts at a local gym.
I'm with ya, on the idea of finding a person who might consider my needs, and design an exercise program for me, around my deficits.

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts