Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am not a very mechanical person and I have run into a problem with my bike so i will describe it the best I can. I parked my bike in my garage worked fine that day. next day i went to start it and the bike wouldnt start up normally for it to start up i had to hold the throttle down for it to start and once it would start up it would not go into idle it would immediately die once the rpms lowered, then a little later i tried again and now nothing happens i put the key in turn it to on make sure the bike is in neutral, hold down the clutch put the choke on and try to start it and nothing, no sound like its trying to turn over just the sound of me pressing the engine start button however my dashlights are on they are dim and when i try to start they get dimmer along with the headlights any ideas on what this could be or things i could try? any help would be appreciated.
thank you for your time.
-David

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It sounds like the battery is low. The issue with not running right may be something to do with the carbs.

The first thing to do would be to test the battery, and charge or replace as needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like the battery is low. The issue with not running right may be something to do with the carbs.

The first thing to do would be to test the battery, and charge or replace as needed.
okay so after reading your comment i went to my local auto zone and had them cahrge my battery over night picked it up this morning pluged it in bike started no problems, i let it warm up took it out for a bit like 30 minutes, came home had lunch went to my garage to start it and same problem again. So with the carbs would i need to clean them out?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Back up a second.

Did it have the same problem of pressing the start button and nothing happening?

If so, either the battery is shot or the charging system of the motorcycle is not working correctly, or both.

I wouldn't start tearing into the more expensive stuff until the cheaper, easier stuff is dealt with and fixed. You can spend several hundred dollars having the carbs cleaned, where if it's only a battery or a loose wire it will be a lot less money.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Charge the battery again, then have it load tested. Do a voltage test at the battery with it installed both at idle and at about 3000 rpm. You should see something over 14 volts at cruising RPM. If the charging system is working, and the battery checks out fine, I would suspect a short in the wiring. This can be difficult to trace, but not impossible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Icantthinkofaname, did you ever figure out your issue? I am a factory trained Honda technician. I'd love to tell you some simple checks to help you figure out exactly whats going on.

·
Ace Tuner
2,946 Posts
Charge the battery again, then have it load tested. Do a voltage test at the battery with it installed both at idle and at about 3000 rpm. You should see something over 14 volts at cruising RPM. If the charging system is working, and the battery checks out fine, I would suspect a short in the wiring. This can be difficult to trace, but not impossible.
^^^ What Dodsfall said^^^
Sounds like a charging system problem most likely.
(Stator, rec/reg, and, or, wires in between).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts