Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
What do you mean the carb is good? Did you take apart and clean it. Is black plug wet or dry. You said you changed them. Did it turn black after one ride. post a pic or look on line at some spark plug charts and compare. Could be weak spark or running rich. Or post a pic and someone will help here. Since you're losing power at higher speeds could also be an electrical connection. Make sure you're battery cables are tight. I use a ratchet and tighten them to the point just before breaking. Had them come loose before. That won't happen again. Lot of vibration on twins.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do a compression test since the bike is old. It can tell you a lot about the engine. Black plug can be many things from fuel related: a choke problem, float/ valve problem, etc. Or ignition related: bad/weak coil, weak spark etc
I had one cylinder running very rich on my 05 vtx last year. Turned out being the spark plug wires. After replacing them, ran like a champ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.