Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ride with my dad 2 or 3 times a week this 1996 XV750H cc virago is immaculate and tediously kept in tip top shape... recently when riding for a few hrs at a time.. and he always rides lead and I follow so I'll be behind him and I'll be trying to maintain 55 mph so as not to pass him up I'll slightly let off the gas but try to keep it at a maintained position and it slightly cut out and loose power for a few seconds at a time... but doesn't die..has great power when accelerating or under a load just when trying to maintain anywhere from 45 to 55 mph in 5th gear... changed spark plugs, oil is good, air filter is clean an new.... carb is good just wanting to know what yall might think it could be?? also spark plug on the right side seems to be black after a ride... so dont know if thats related also idles great .. starts first push every time and doesn't smell like gas or oil.. please help just bonding with my dad over motorcycles and love to continue to ride and love the life style... thanks

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,515 Posts
You may just be bogin it down, try dropping down a gear and ride in 4th at those speeds.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
My brother has a 95 Virago 1100, I know they are a fine bike and he has never had trouble with it.
I had that on my Sporty at Hi-way speeds, turned out I needed either a bigger fuel filter or a clean one. I had a small one from Napa an changed out for a larger, never had that issue again. Maybe run a few ounces of SeaFoam in tank, possible partly dirty jet? On my 91 Sporty, a carbed job I shut gas off 1/4 mile from house, so it hardly has any gas staying in carb when I am at the house, I let her run till she starts starving for gas, about a minute, then I shut off key.
So Nicholas Ford, 2 thumbs up to you and Dad having many great rides.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What do you mean the carb is good? Did you take apart and clean it. Is black plug wet or dry. You said you changed them. Did it turn black after one ride. post a pic or look on line at some spark plug charts and compare. Could be weak spark or running rich. Or post a pic and someone will help here. Since you're losing power at higher speeds could also be an electrical connection. Make sure you're battery cables are tight. I use a ratchet and tighten them to the point just before breaking. Had them come loose before. That won't happen again. Lot of vibration on twins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cc rider... black dry.. yes after one ride carbs is good meaning clean adjusted right etc... just the right side plug.. they are gapped correctly according to the manual and are the right heat range ...will check the battery cables though. I'll let y'all know when I can thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do a compression test since the bike is old. It can tell you a lot about the engine. Black plug can be many things from fuel related: a choke problem, float/ valve problem, etc. Or ignition related: bad/weak coil, weak spark etc
I had one cylinder running very rich on my 05 vtx last year. Turned out being the spark plug wires. After replacing them, ran like a champ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts