Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the top end of on my 1994 VT1100c. I am having trouble setting up the timing between the crank markings and the cam.

There are a number of marks on the crank, |F|F|FT and |F|F|RT. According to the service manual, I am supposed to line up the |FT with the stationary mark on the right side of the engine where the crank bolt is located. On the can, the F should be on top of the cam and align the marks on the sprocket with the surface of the head.

Then turn the crank 225 degrees and perform the same procedure, but the crank is lined up with |RT and the R points up on the cam.

When I do this and install the spark plugs the crank turns OK, but then gets very difficult to turn.

If I remove the front spark plug, it is the same, difficult to turn. I put the front spark plug in and remove the rear, same result. If I remove both, it rotates fine.

Am I using the wrong markings on the crank. I am pulling my hair out and really want to get my bike on the road.

Thanks to all in advance for helping.
DougK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What happens if shims get mixed up

While working on the engine, the engine did fall over and the shims did come out, so I am not sure which shim goes with which tappet. If I have these mixed up, could this cause the problem I am experiencing? Difficulty cranking the engine with the plugs installed?

Thanks again for your input.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
Most definitely. Each shim should have a size stamped into it. You will need to pull all the shims and reset each valve to the proper clearance. There may be special tools involved depending on the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts