Motorcycle Forum banner

1994 Suzuki Intruder flashers/starter short

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jacques DRNLOj 
#1 ·
Well here I am looking Tru the huge database of information for a simple yet cheap solution to my intermittent short circuit of the starter/flashers wires from the wire harness where the handle bar meets the frame that rotted away by 28 years of use. Both starter and flashers work only if I turn the handlebar to the left.

Should I cut the enveloppe and tape all wires within it?

Thanks

#2 ·
Well here I am looking Tru the huge database of information for a simple yet cheap solution to my intermittent short circuit of the starter/flashers wires from the wire harness where the handle bar meets the frame that rotted away by 28 years of use. Both starter and flashers work only if I turn the handlebar to the left.

Thanks

Yes the only way to truely fix it is to open the harnes up and repair the bad wires. If the wires are rebbed thru, they have been exposed to oxygen and will be corroded, this means you will have to cut out the entire section that is corroded, or it will continue to spread. Consider it copper cacer. if you dont get it all it will come back.

I was going to provide you with a link for the service manual, however you did not give all the bike info.

Also add the shrink wrap to each repaired wire, and shrink it with heat. (lighter works)

I recomend using self fusing silicone tape to close all final repairs in the harness.

Wrap it just like you would black tape, but as you wrap it, pull it "tight" and over lap it by half the width. this will make it water proof, and never unravle like electrical tape does.

#3 ·

Thanks
Maybe it will turn out to only be the wires coming from the switch case and not problems in the main wire harness.. The switch case wires get stressed by movement thru the years.
Fixing old wiring is kind of a never ending job. You find a bad spot only to realize by fixing / handling the wire you caused more bad spots near where you just fixed one.

I went thru the main wire harness on my old KZ650 repairing old brittle wires two times. It lasted about six years both times till I had to do it all over again. Then one night about 60 miles from home... No headlight. This time it was wires going to a lighting fuse. I wiggled the wires and got light. I may have spent near 40 hrs per wire fixing session. Was not going to go thru that again. I sold the bike with full disclosure as to why I was done with that bike. It still looked near new.
Sorry. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Maybe yours ain't that bad.

Yes the only way to truely fix it is to open the harnes up and repair the bad wires. If the wires are rebbed thru, they have been exposed to oxygen and will be corroded, this means you will have to cut out the entire section that is corroded, or it will continue to spread. Consider it copper cacer. if you dont get it all it will come ba

Also add the shrink wrap to each repaired wire, and shrink it with heat. (lighter works)

I recomend using self fusing silicone tape to close all final repairs in the harness.
Yep, that's true.

Yep, shrink tubing.

Yep, fusing tape. Good stuff.

I might add. Use solder connections, not stinking "scotch locks" or wire nuts.

S F

Reactions: EngineCollector
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.