Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
You're bike only produces about 20 horses on a good day, the stock original clutch can handle that work just fine. It does not need special plates, it does not need heavier springs and it should not need added gizmos to make the clutch pull any lighter, or something is simply wrong. If you put it all back to stock, it should work as advertised.

.... if you want a lighter pull clutch, buy something with a hydraulic clutch, that's the only thing that works.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I knew the exact thing you put on there, seen lots of them. They rarely work well, you can't add leverage without sacrificing travel.

If you replace things like clutch springs with non original parts, anything could happen, we'd be guessing on what you have in front of you.
Yes, but I said that I had swapped them out last night, so to say that was causing my problem to begin with is quite frankly just silly.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
(y) highest probability.
When you pull on the lever that compresses the springs in the clutch. If the springs are already compressed then it will be super tight at the lever. Did you over-tighten the nuts that compress the springs?
M

I’m honestly not sure. The repair manual said snug them up and torque them to 9 lbs but I didn’t use a torque wrench, I tightened them until they bottomed out and then just a tiny bit past that

It is not possible to over tighten the pressure plate springs. They bottom out snuggly against the flywheel posts.

OP, have you measured your stack height?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
about 4 minutes in:
note that the springs can spring, as in they are never coil bound.

Fairly simple thing I was suggesting you check, the pressure plate can either move away from the clutch pack or it can't.

And sure you can over tighten any bolts, you can twist the threads to bits if you put a wrench on it, that's the reason for the torque wrench, so you don't stretch the bolts and break them.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
Well all other issues aside, I just hope you get the damn thing fixed.

• Haha
Reactions: EngineCollector

·
Registered
131 Posts
from ebcbrakesdirect.com........and info on their clutch spring sets.

'Coil Type Springs
The coil type springs are made from spirals of heat treated and tempered high carbon steel and have a 15% higher tension than standard.
'

Doesn't matter when they got put in. OP changed to a stronger spring after complaining about clutch being too tight.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
from ebcbrakesdirect.com........and info on their clutch spring sets.

'Coil Type Springs
The coil type springs are made from spirals of heat treated and tempered high carbon steel and have a 15% higher tension than standard.
'

Doesn't matter when they got put in. OP changed to a stronger spring after complaining about springs being too tight.
No, you assume without ever having looked at my bike that the springs were the problem to begin with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're right. I mis-chose one word and went back and corrected it. That still doesn't change what I said there though, go back and see if it does to you.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well here’s what I did today. I put a brand new handlebar clutch lever on, and noticed that the old lever was bent more at the end than the new lever. I removed the old crankcase cover gasket and put a new one on. I also put a new clutch lever on the crankcase end. I am running the ebc springs, snugged but not torqued at all. With 5mm free play, the clutch lever is pretty easy to pull. I am not currently running an easy pull clutch. I suspect that the issue was caused by the old clutch lever being bent. I think the previous owners did it and it was over-leveraging the cable pull. I could be wrong, but the clutch lever is much easier to pull than it previously was.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts