Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, first time biker.

I've had my bike for about 6 months now. All of a sudden it lacks almost all acceleration.

starts up just fine, but even in first gear, I can't pull away with any sort of acceleration beyond piddling forward. I can't get past 30mph in any gear, and if I try to get even close to pinning the throttle, it will die almost immediately.

My idle is also high, though it has been doing that forever and I see it is a common issue for the gs500. I see it as unrelated.

Thoughts? I am not a mechanic, but I'm an Engineer so I can figure most things out just fine :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
my 81 yamaha maxim did the exact same thing. no power at all under 4000 rpms. she had vacuum leaks. improper float settings. and a bad tci to finish the job and have her running like a champ.

she was a total dog untill she hit 4000 rpms. new intake gaskets and vacuum caps and lines. went through the carbs and adjusted all 4 floats. she ran good enough to drive around town. then i changed the tci ignitor box. it was running too much spark advance for the lower rpms. she ran like a champ after that part was replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts