Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 FZR600 originally my bike was losing power with full throttle and would die out and got a new battery and bike was hesitant to start and eventually got it going with the new battery so I rode it around the neighborhood where minutes go by and same thing loss of power at full throttle and bike wont start just rapid clicking and the motor is cranking. Push the bike home and MM put my battery at 8 volts when the battery I placed in my bike 20mins was at 12.75v solo stator issue.? Give it 2 days and fully charge the battery when I come home from work put the battery back in and to my surprise the bike started right up but I was actually keeping track of my battery with MM as oppose to last time it turned on and rode off lol but here is where **** gets weird after 5 mins of my bike being on after cold start when the revs at idle spike up I was getting 17ish volts at idle!! And when I revved the damn thing it hit almost 20 so afraid my battery was gonna blow up I shut it off and tried again a few mins later this time im getting 15.5 ish volts at idle maybe a bit more and revving was at 17.5 volts so regulator and or stator.? Needless to say im a numb nut and drove the bike to my friends place to show it to him hit the button started right up! But when I left I was moving the bike in between cars out his drive way and I had the battery on the seat of my bike because I bought a larger battery to fit in the pocket and slipped right out when I leaned it in 1 direction and the negative copper connector ring to my battery snapped right around the bolt and so instead of a ring it was a baby square so after trying to put what was left of the negative connector I could not start the bike with the button as I did 10 mins ago!! Lights work, neutral light, oil light comes on as long as I'm holding push starter. Also not even 1 click or a series of clicks just nothing

So got bump started by my friends and drove home immediately but half way through same ****ing thing. Bike loses power at full throttle and dies once stopped but luckily/not so luckily my bike died on a very high up bridge at the point of where I was about to hit the downhill slope late at night with little traffic so I managed to bump start on my own!! But 30-45 seconds later bike loss of power and died so I pushed the bike another mile home I replaced the negative battery connector to stator and got a new starter relay with the positive to my battery and all of my 5 fuses 3 10amps 1 25amp and 1 30 amp on the left fender sitting on the bike and still nothing when I hit the button!! I've tried to bypass the relay with a screwdriver and starts right up but dies the instant I remove the srewdriver unless I'm revving the bike hard asf.

Any ideas.? Kind of defeated right now

Was looking at clutch safety switch but idk just got a new clutch lever and have my current 1 off the bike before and after starting tests and my bike should start with kick stand down so long as I'm in neutral with clutch in

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Sounds like your MAIN fuse is blown. Mains aren't usually located with the rest of the fuses.
Also you already have all of this in another thread, why are you starting a second thread?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jag- thats what I was getting the conclusion of and trying to get as much answers as possible so any idea what the "MAIN FUSE" Is because whenever I searched it up for my bike 91 FZR I just get turning signal fuse and fuel pump fuse I wanna say its by RR which I have to replace as well

·
Biker
1,281 Posts
Quote from Langelg7 "I replaced the negative battery connector to stator and got a new starter relay with the positive to my
battery and all of my 5 fuses 3 10amps 1 25amp and 1 30 amp on the left fender sitting on the bike and still nothing when I hit
the button!!." unquote

NICE, REAL NICE !, Actually it does NOT go that way, the stator has 2 or 3 wires that go to the rectifier/regulator R/R then maybe
a two wire plug from R/R hooks into battery somewhere in the harness or just a red wire that connects to the battery's positive side.
negative side of R/R is made when bolted to the bike's frame.

It sounds like something is drawing an awfull lot of current though for the bike, once running to crap out less than a minute later.
Make a note as to which fuse goes where, take them all out and put one in then try to start bike, if it does not start,remove it,
try another fuse till the bike starts, so with one fuse in, bike is running. Then with M-M check battery voltage. If the fuse, whatever
kind it is is blackened, that is indicative of a short circuit. If it is clear but the link has melted, it was an overload.

Why did u have to start another thread? Did you get another R/R?

Weird that a bike would have all that safety sw. crap, wanna be real safe ? don't freakin ride! with key on, power goes to
engine run switch, with ER sw. on power goes to ignition circuit AND to starter sw. from starter sw. over to clutch safety sw.
from that sw. to Kick-stand sw. and from there to starter solenoid or starter relay. This is known as a 'SERIES CIRCUIT.'
where every thing is hooked end to end, one BAD sw. an U yeah U don't ride, not today anyways ! If it were MY bike, I'd cut
out all that crap, go from starter button right to the frigging starter solenoid or relay. too many fuses. Fuses are good to have
My wide glide has a 1690 c.c. engine and has 3 fuses, main, battery charge and accessories. MAIN protects wiring on bike.
Accessories protects whatever accessories you add and Battery chg protects bat. charge system

Well, I have helped others and will help you, if you want it, This is NOT brain surgery. The laws of volts an amps work the same
regardless where they are being used. go get a new R/R and while doing that put battery on charger.

Call me an tell me what's going on 727 204-2767

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check your main fuse, however from reading you post and I apologies as I skimmed it a bit but your getting a charge of 15-17 volts when your bike is running to the battery, that stinks of a screwed regulator to me which is why you may have blown a fuse, this may of in turn also fried your battery, once you have power on your bike I would suggest looking up a tutorial on YouTube and checking your regulator and battery before anything else and don't ride the bike whilst your sorting this out unless you want to be brought home by a recovery truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the forum so as I have been looking through the website I've come across this post about the FZR600 not starting etc!!
Well I myself have got a 95/6 Frog-Eyed Model and I'm having similar issues with it!! Now I'm ok when it comes to the spanners but anything electrical just baffles me!!! 😁
So this is what's happening with the bike, whenever you press the start button all you get is a load of nothing, nada, zilch!!! 🤬🤬😡 But yet if I put a screwdriver etc across both of the poles on the starter motor solenoid switch, then it turns the engine over no problem!!! But without doing that to it then you get nothing at all when pressing the start button, it's only if you put something metal across both of the posts that are on the starter motor solenoid switch, that something happens and it turns the engine over, like it should do when you press the start button!!!! And if you have got the key in the ignition and turned on then the bike will actually start and run like it was doing before!!!
So basically to me it sounds like it could be the actual start button itself!! Because it's obviously getting power from the battery to the solenoid switch and if you jump the posts with a screwdriver etc then it's getting power to the starter motor through the solenoid, obviously not in the correct way that it should be getting it, but it is getting it!! So I think that the only thing that it can be is the start button switch on the handlebars!!! Because to me that seems to be the only thing that It can be tbh with you!! Or at least that's my opinion on it, because everything else is working, and doing what it's supposed too do and when it's supposed too do it!!!!
I mean I could easily rig up something were I'd remove the whole of the solenoid switch and then just bypass it using some sort of a kill switch etc!! I'm just not so sure if I'd blow anything else, or cause any kind of other damage to the bike!!!
Like I said earlier, I'm ok with the spannering but if its anything electrical then that's it for me ,I'm stumped!!
So do any of you know about anything like this happening before then I'd greatly appreciate some advice from you??

Many thanks

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Does your bike have a safety switch on the clutch lever and or the kickstand? Will it crank in neutral?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys I'm new to the forum so as I have been looking through the website I've come across this post about the FZR600 not starting etc!!
Well I myself have got a 95/6 Frog-Eyed Model and I'm having similar issues with it!! Now I'm ok when it comes to the spanners but anything electrical just baffles me!!! 😁
So this is what's happening with the bike, whenever you press the start button all you get is a load of nothing, nada, zilch!!! 🤬🤬😡 But yet if I put a screwdriver etc across both of the poles on the starter motor solenoid switch, then it turns the engine over no problem!!! But without doing that to it then you get nothing at all when pressing the start button, it's only if you put something metal across both of the posts that are on the starter motor solenoid switch, that something happens and it turns the engine over, like it should do when you press the start button!!!! And if you have got the key in the ignition and turned on then the bike will actually start and run like it was doing before!!!
So basically to me it sounds like it could be the actual start button itself!! Because it's obviously getting power from the battery to the solenoid switch and if you jump the posts with a screwdriver etc then it's getting power to the starter motor through the solenoid, obviously not in the correct way that it should be getting it, but it is getting it!! So I think that the only thing that it can be is the start button switch on the handlebars!!! Because to me that seems to be the only thing that It can be tbh with you!! Or at least that's my opinion on it, because everything else is working, and doing what it's supposed too do and when it's supposed too do it!!!!
I mean I could easily rig up something were I'd remove the whole of the solenoid switch and then just bypass it using some sort of a kill switch etc!! I'm just not so sure if I'd blow anything else, or cause any kind of other damage to the bike!!!
Like I said earlier, I'm ok with the spannering but if its anything electrical then that's it for me ,I'm stumped!!
So do any of you know about anything like this happening before then I'd greatly appreciate some advice from you??

Many thanks

right where the starter solenoid is there should be a thin blue wire with a bullet type of connector make sure that its plugged in as well as that blue wire is what powers the electric starter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right where the starter solenoid is there should be a thin blue wire with a bullet type of connector make sure that its plugged in as well as that blue wire is what powers the electric starter.
it should connect to another blue wire that looks similar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its the only blue wire on the starter relay.. the starter relay is the same thing as the solenoid that you used to put a screwdriver on the 2 contacts. I would send a picture but im at my gfs and my fzr is at home

if you look at your starter relay/solenoid switch and see the blue wire not connected to anything there's your problem. let me know if that helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have taken the switch set off the handlebars so I can clean it all and make sure that there's no bad wires inside it, as I've been hearing that this can be a cause of the bike not starting from the button!! A little bit more information for you regarding the bike, it's a 95/96 frog eye model and it's had the sidestand bypassed!! Not by myself I may add, but it did used to run like it is and the only thing I have done with it since I last used it is to park it up under the kitchen window!! I mean I can start it but only using the screwdriver!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
its the only blue wire on the starter relay.. the starter relay is the same thing as the solenoid that you used to put a screwdriver on the 2 contacts. I would send a picture but im at my gfs and my fzr is at home

if you look at your starter relay/solenoid switch and see the blue wire not connected to anything there's your problem. let me know if that helps
I've just been out looking for this wire my friend and I can't see anything like it, apart from the plug that plugs into the solenoid switch, but that's got 4 wires, albeit one of them is blue with a white stripe if I'm correct! And other than the wires I've described the only other ones are the fatter cables thatgo to your battery and starter motor!! Or have I missed something completely here!!?? 😁

·
Registered
27 Posts

By the way I'll see if I can get a picture on here to show you

I think that it might be a better idea if I go and get some better pictures now I know how to put em on

1 - 20 of 31 Posts