Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So l am really close to getting a bike. After doing a lot of research and looking at my situation, where l am working full time and going to school full time starting next month, l have decided that for right now l just want to get a dependable steady-Eddie bike, and l think l like the idea of a Kawasaki EX500. It will be perfect for getting back on the road, from what l hear they run forever, and get 50 mpg while they are at it. I found one near me for under $1000. It is a 1990, and the guy says it runs great and has fairly new tires.

The only thing about it that l can see being a hassle is that it has a custom 2-in-1 exhaust, and the seller said it is pretty loud (he wasn't sure what kind, as it is his son's bike, and his son is overseas in the military). My question is, how difficult would it be to quiet this exhaust down? My girlfriend has a medical condition that is exacerbated by loud noise. Would it be easy to swap it back to stock? (Seller has stock header but no pipe). What about baffling the setup that is on it? Please forgive my ignorance, as l don't really know anything about exhaust systems. Thanks in advance.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
................... What about baffling the setup that is on it?...............
Well THAT'S a switch!! The fella wants to quiet it down, NOT make it LOUDER!

I don't have personal knowledge of trying to buy "baffles" for pipes, since most pipes that come on Stock bikes HAVE the baffles already in them, and MOST folks are trying to take them OUT of their pipes!

If you are THAT uncertain about the whole thing, let a local motorcycle shop help you find the right pipe set up, order them for you, and install them for you. It's a bit more costly than DIY but you want to make sure it is done right, and that any carburation modifications that should be done, ARE done.

"Exhaust system" jobs can have an impact on the performance of the bike, and should be evaluated to ensure that you are getting the best performance out of your bike that's possible, with any system change.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That bike sold. l am looking at another, newer (2002) EX500 in what appears to be like-new condition for $2100. It has a Two Brothers 2-in-1 exhaust...any idea how loud it will be? Dodsfall, Oneeyedjack?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sound comes through muffler and they give power so you may sacrifice some mpg as well. Two Bros are loud, maybe look for some system with silencer or the ones that the sound can be modified like Brook's Performance and something like Supertrapp's tuneable disk, start checking them here: Motorcycle Exhaust

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gripgear. I am looking at an SV650 on Friday that is stock, and maybe the EX500 on Sunday. Also, l just inquired about a Yamaha YZF600 that looks to be stock. There are a lot of bikes popping up for sale so hopefully l can find a good clean bike that is stock and won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks Gripgear. I am looking at an SV650 on Friday that is stock, and maybe the EX500 on Sunday. Also, l just inquired about a Yamaha YZF600 that looks to be stock. There are a lot of bikes popping up for sale so hopefully l can find a good clean bike that is stock and won't have to worry about it.
The EZ-500's exhaust stock is not loud. The two brothers exhaust is pretty raspy but still has similar sounds of a strong riding lawn mower.

I have the 2007 Ex-500 and I think 2100 for a 2002 is well above the price you should be paying. The great part about the 500 is that the wiki for it (an online encyclopedia to tell you everything from an owners perspective) pretty much covers every bolt on the darn bike!

Ex-500 is quiet compared to the Harleys and the true sportbikes. I always wear disposable earplugs when I ride more then 20 minutes. It makes the ride much more comfortable. Thing about the Ex-500 is that it is a buzzer and buzzes like mad above 5k RPM (at least to me). WONDERFUL FIRST BIKE!

YAMAHA YZF 600 IS WAY TOO MUCH POWER FOR YOU, But it does have Fuel Injection...! Full coverage on the Ex-500 will be $40. Liability on the YZF600 will be $70. I've inquired.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your insight Urban. I really appreciate it!

The EX500 that was $2100 is absolutely immacculate, for what that's worth. Not a scratch on it. I have found some, even a couple years newer, for less money, but all have been down and are beat up. Something that probably comes with the territory here in Seattle, where it rains often and there is some standing water or recently stirred oil on the roads more often than not.

I think l have found a bike that l am more interested in anyway. It is a 2004 Suzuki SV650 with less than 5k miles, in perfect condition, for $3000. Not a dent or a scratch, and it is a nice bright yellow color, which will be great for safety. I have made arrangements to go look at it Sunday. It has a Delkevic slip-on pipe. From what the guy said, it isn't too loud and sounds like your typical Ducati.

There is another SV650 that l am going to look at on Friday. I believe it is a 2000 and has about 22k miles. The ad says it is clean but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the 2004, and it is a red-burgundy that reminds me an awful lot of the WSU Cougars colors...hey, sorry, l'm a die-hard Husky fan here. It does have a stock exhaust though. Anyway, the bike is $2000 so l am going to check it out, but l am not buying anything until l have a chance to see the really clean one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts