Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came my way at the right price. I am just going to take it to stock I think, unless some cost effective ideas come my way, over to you guys....

Attachments

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
As long as the tires have decent tread on em, and you don't have to change them out...........ride it son, ride it!! Looks great "as is!"

I'm a sucker for wide, fat fenders, so "I" might be tempted to change THEM out ("Stock" or not).

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Beautiful bike! If I lived closer I'd consider letting you give it "over to this gal" :D :D
Honestly, that is a really nice looking bike and I'm sure it's a lot of fun to ride!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well she does look good, other side ain't quit so pretty though, she does have her problems.

The engine fins are corroded to the point that all the black has come of. Don't get me wrong the fins are good and without damage, but they need a good clean and re painting.

Then there is the problem with the shift return spring, it's broke. Doesn't appear to be any damage to the gearbox or casing, but the spring is located inside the gearbox I understand. Not good.

Other than that she's a fine looking bike and I thank you soupy and Moni for your comments.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
Nice looking Ride only thing will mention some early 90 Models used INA Cam Bearings , would look into that if was going to buy it and replace them with good bearings like Koyo ..

·
6,993 Posts
This post is as old as you and I Joe:surprise:

The one thing that is a plus on the bike is that it has the 80 inch EVO engine in it that were basically bullet proof.:smile_big:

The famous 'Broken return spring,' is caused by a Harley design error of having the 'inside' round diameter of the spring, riding on a 'square' boss, with it's 4 'SHARP as heck,' corners rubbing constantly on the inside diameter of the return spring and after the trans has been shifted a Million times, many of the springs will break off and either fall into the gears (OUCH) or just fall into the gearbox sump:surprise:

This happened to me in the middle of a thousand mile LEO club ride but I made it home :grin:

If the spring breaking didn't ruin gears, the fix is relatively cheap and quick.:wink2:

Rounding the 'square' boss off a little takes just a few minutes with a 'Dremel grinder' and probably and totally eliminates the problem.

Sam:nerd:

·
Biker
1,351 Posts
That is not the regular engine found on a Sporty but it does have a Sporty type exhaust. This bike has an engine similar to what
is on my wide glide, as it has the oil lines you can see and the chrome somewhat oval piece for the tranny to the left of the engine.
A damn fine looking bike for sure.

If it were my bike I'd do a few things to make it more mine, do a stage 1 with more free flowing air box, ecm for mare gas into
the engine hopefully keep the pipes as they are. She is a 'HOT' looking ride, looks like the holidays came early for ya and I am
glad, nice to see another biker get a ride he/she really likes the look of.

I'd do what Sam and Gator Joe say as well as changing all fluids and oil filter, service air cleaner and keep a log of said maintenance.
Howz the battery? u might want to get a battery tender. Been using one on my Sporty and have 4 years on that battery just because
of the tender. I bought a new battery for the wide glide, yet she cranks over faster and starts in half the time just using a BT.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but that is sure a purty bike. I wonder if he still has it and what he has done with it?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
This post is as old as you and I Joe:surprise:

The one thing that is a plus on the bike is that it has the 80 inch EVO engine in it that were basically bullet proof.:smile_big:

The famous 'Broken return spring,' is caused by a Harley design error of having the 'inside' round diameter of the spring, riding on a 'square' boss, with it's 4 'SHARP as heck,' corners rubbing constantly on the inside diameter of the return spring and after the trans has been shifted a Million times, many of the springs will break off and either fall into the gears (OUCH) or just fall into the gearbox sump:surprise:

This happened to me in the middle of a thousand mile LEO club ride but I made it home :grin:

If the spring breaking didn't ruin gears, the fix is relatively cheap and quick.:wink2:

Rounding the 'square' boss off a little takes just a few minutes with a 'Dremel grinder' and probably and totally eliminates the problem.

Sam:nerd:

Need to start reading the First Thread on these Topics , but still stand on if want an EVO try to make it a 97-98 unless lucky enough to find a 1999-2000 FXR 2-3-4 They are the mint of the EVO's ..

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts