Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the carburetors on my 1989 Yamaha Radian YX600 to replace the float valves and clean the jets. I had to order parts so it sat disassembled. I foolishly did not tape the ends, take pictures, or do any other thing which would have helped me remember which line went where. I have Clymer manual but it doesn't really show the connections end to end. When I reconnected every thing to the best of my ability, upon startup the bike dumped a bunch of gas on the ground. Clearly I boned it. I am trying to correlate the hoses to their respective terminuses. There are two connections on the fuel tank at the valve, one larger than the other. There is a connection on the rear top of the tank which I presume to be an overflow and connected to a hose that runs of the back to nowhere.. There are two connections on a swivel, facing outward towards the air-box on the air-box side of the carbs, there is a connection on the number 3 carb engine-side rubber boot, and a connection on the number carb 2 carb.
What are each of these terminuses?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies, I'm new at this. The page says:

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
Is there some alternate way to point you to the pics?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Type them out as plain engish and we can figure it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same year and model as you!

Starting with the fuel petcock, the upper, smaller fitting is the vacuum port and should connect to the carb boot of cylinder three. The larger, lower fitting is for fuel and should connect to a barbed T fitting between carb two and three.

The connection on the rear of the gas tank next to the mounting bolt is the tank vent/overflow just like you thought and should vent to the ground below the bike somewhere.

The two other swiveling T-shaped barb fittings between carbs 1&2 and 3&4 are overflows for the carb bowls. There should be two short tubes they connect to which run back underneath the airbox then down between the swing-arm joint and the rear fender well to vent underneath the bike.

I don't know what the port on carb #2 is for. My bike doesn't have a fitting there, nor does the spare set of carbs I bought on eBay. Is it possible you have a bike from California? I know they had additional emissions equipment that I would be unfamiliar with.

If you haven't already, make sure you check out BadRad600.com. They have a page which hosts a collection of factory service manuals which are pretty nice to have, even if the pictures are low quality. I think one of the manual includes a parts diagram for the vacuum/fuel tubes for both the normal US and Californian version of the bike.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input! I turns out that it was in fact a California model. I have all my fuel vacuum lines connected now. I have changed the plugs, oil and air/oil filters as well. She has some other problems now. She backfires a bit at start up. and seems to want me on the throttle a bit. I took her for a 10-ish mile ride. She topped out at 75 mph and seems to want to stall at low RPMs if I don't bury the throttle. I'll play with her some more and try to figure it. Thanks again for the input, it was a huge help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts