Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I bought a GS 450 E as a non runner did all the usual things oil change fresh fuel etc and rode it around steady for a couple of hundred miles with no problems apart from the fact i thought it was getting a bit warm,this is at speeds between 60 and 70.
On opening the throttle to overtake from about 60 mph i noticed it was reluctant to pull past 70 in top gear.Changing down two gears and reving the engine to about 7.000 rpm produced more acceleration but she did not like this at all and i think the engine partially seized, when i pulled up the engine stopped and would not turn over on the starter,i got the bike home and tried it the next day and she started up and ticked over fine with no smoke of any colour.
I know i should not ride the old girl to hard but i think she can be better than this and i am a bit bothered about her seizing or tightening up at the wrong moment.I really want to get this bike running nice as she is so much fun and easy to ride.
ANY advice/ guidance would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I have a 1982 GS 850 G that I ride like it's a sportbike. Apart from a dreadful ticking noise that can be a nightmare to resolve these engines are pretty much bulletproof. Keep it maintained and it'll keep you entertained.

Did you clean the petrol tank or just put in new fuel? When I got my GS I did the latter. I rode it a hundred or so miles then the next day it started bogging down at 6k rpm. Then when I stopped, the engine sputtered out and left me stranded. It had to sit for an entire weekend before it would run again.

What happened is that I accidentally set the petcock to Reserve and the carbs sucked up whatever junk was at the bottom of the tank. If yours was sitting for long enough I could imagine there could be a lot of "contaminants" sloshing around in there.

I guess there's also making sure the valves are adjusted?

Outside of that, I'd also recommend https://www.thegsresources.com

They're like the encyclopaedia on the GS.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Bikes usually seize due to lack of oil, or too lean of a fuel mixture. When riding at WOT, they make a distinct screaming sound when too lean. Usually ust before they stop. Without hearing the engine at the time, it is hard to say what happened. Was the engine very hot when it stopped? Are the exhaust pipes free and clear? If it seized there should be scuff marks in the cylinders, and on the pistons. That requires a tear down to inspect. The rings may also have suffered, and you are likely now low on compression.
On starting again, a seized motor will often rattle a bit, as the pistons are not the same size as they used to be.

Most of the heat transferring problems were fixed by the late seventies. So it is not a basic problem with the engine when new. It is about what happened over time.

I have an 83 XS400. I buzz it to 9000 on the freeway. That is as fast as it will go. It the lower gears it will hit 10000. If the engine is in okay shape, has good oil and is jetted correctly, then it should be able to handle the higher revs. Check the bike specifications site for what it ran when new. Should be very similar to my 400, with a bit more mid range power.

UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help i will get there with the support i am getting from this forum.
Cheers
mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts