Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am incredibly new at riding and have a very frustrating problem to the point I towed my bike from Long Beach to Venice the other day because I could not figure out what was going on.
The bike starts up fine, and I feel like the clutch is engaged but again I’m new so might not be enough. The bike with lunge forward then stall out every time going into first. Now someone was kind enough to try and push me to go into 2nd and that worked, until I hit a light 100 feet down the road and I tried shifting back into first and it shut off again. It’s really embarrassing and frustrating, does anyone have any idea what this could be or what I can do to try an prevent this from occurring? I mean even tips on the choke and the fuel adjustment on the side. If the clutch should be closer to max or low and the hydraulic fluid. I just can’t figure out what’s up.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
The problem is, the clutch IS engaged; you want it fully disengaged to put it in gear. You probably have air in the clutch lines (since you mention fluid), so need to do a proper bleed. Some times you can get away with exercising the clutch with the master cylinder/reservoir tilted so that the line attached via the banjo fitting is lower than the rest - doesn't have to be a lot. Then VERY slowly pull the lever all the way to the grip, count to 10, then let it snap back. The movement of the fluid will push air out of the banjo fitting and into the MC. Repeat, until the lever becomes firm within the first 1/2" of motion at the end. This only works if the air is at the top of the line; if there is a place for bubbles to be trapped between the MC and slave, or in the slave itself, you will need to do a full bleed.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Agreed, your clutch is out of adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts