Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, l have made a tentative agreement to buy a 1987 FJ1200 from a friend on another forum. The bike is in great shape, has had over $2000 of mods done to it, and has 54,000 miles on it (which is middle of the road for an FJ of this age). I will be taking a quick flight to central Oregon on Friday and will ride it home, possible with a detour to my parents' house in Coulee City.

Wish me luck folks!

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Well, l have made a tentative agreement to buy a 1987 FJ1200 from a friend on another forum. The bike is in great shape, has had over $2000 of mods done to it, and has 54,000 miles on it (which is middle of the road for an FJ of this age). I will be taking a quick flight to central Oregon on Friday and will ride it home, possible with a detour to my parents' house in Coulee City.

Wish me luck folks!
Good luck!

I would have thought that you'd hold out for lower miles..

I asked on another thread but...how is the parts situation for these older FJs? Is there a reason you wanted an older Fj as they seem to have made them for many years after...

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Cool and good luck hawk. It's also good the bike is coming from someone that cares about his machine so you should be getting a well cared for bike.:thumbsup:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Nice, congratulations! Post pics when you can!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Have fun and enjoy the ride!

54K seems like low miles to me for a bike that age.:71baldboy:

I don't know anything about them though, so I have no idea what sort of mods he'd have done for 2k. That's about half to a third of the value of the bike, isn't it?

·
8,579 Posts
I hope the mileage isn't too low-OMG-LOL:biggrin:

Have fun and be careful. The FJ is a fantastic bike. It also has lots of torque so it can be 'Short shifted' and still be quick.

I had a new Yamaha XS1100 in 1981, in Southern, CA and I rode it to work on the superslabs every day and it was superb. The biggest engine size I'd had before that was a few 750's, 500's and 400's (RD 400:biggrin:) but after my first ride to work I remember that at the end of the on-ramp, maybe 200 yards before I merged left, I had already been in 5th gear and was doing 80 mph, without even trying and that to me is what makes a bike fun to ride is PERFORMANCE;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Good luck Hawk, I hope it is all you think it is. Have a safe ride home

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck!

I would have thought that you'd hold out for lower miles..

I asked on another thread but...how is the parts situation for these older FJs? Is there a reason you wanted an older Fj as they seem to have made them for many years after...
This search has proven that mileage is relevant; there were several of these bikes with less miles that are quite beat up. The FJ's regularly go 100k+ if well taken care of. The seller has taken good care of it and added a lot of mods, over $2000 in extras. And he bought it from the original owner. He has receipts for all services dating back to when it was new.

As far as why l went old, l wanted to either get an early one ('84-'87) because it is the coolest paint scheme, red and white, nicknamed the "ambulance", or one of the later ones ('91-'93) because they have a bigger windscreen, a factory 17" front wheel, and rubber coated engine mounts. This one is a lot of bike for the money. In the future l will likely do 17" wheel upgrades (the front and rear from certain years of an FZR1000 swap easily, and the rear from any GSXR 750 or 1100 from the '90s is a drop-in) and upgrade the rear shock.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have fun and enjoy the ride!

54K seems like low miles to me for a bike that age.:71baldboy:

I don't know anything about them though, so I have no idea what sort of mods he'd have done for 2k. That's about half to a third of the value of the bike, isn't it?
He actually spent more on mods than the bike cost him originally, although he did all the work himself as well, and there is value in that. Altogether he has close to $4000 in the bike, and sold it to me for $2850. %4k miles is nothing on these bikes. As far as longevity goes, think Goldwing.

Here is a list of the mods and upgrades he did. You'll notice 2 entries for tires...the bike comes with a spare set of brand new tires that he will ship to my house while l ride it home ;)

$125 RPM fork brace

$135 Fork Spring

$210 Fork Valve

$50 RPM spin-on oil filter

$30 RPM Uni Dual Pod air filter

$150 Chain

$80 Sprockets

$200 Fuel petcock (probably didn’t need to replace, got it before doing the flapectomy.)

$150 Rear Rack from RPM

$50 Bike cover

$50 Magnetic tank bag

$90 Almost new brake pads

$80 Almost new clutch slave cylinder

$200 Great tires with an extra set of radials included.

$85 chain guide

$200 Back tire

$70 EBC HH brake pads

$20 Speedo cable

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Looks like all the mods are for ride-ability or maintenance issues. No real "bling". Sounds like you got a good deal and I'm sure if something does pop up the guy will be more than willing to point you in the correct direction to fix it if you haven't already figured it out yourself.

That's one good thing about bike specific sites is you can meet guys that care about that bike more than the average. They try things that the general population would never think of and hone that info to gain the max. I keep my toes in those waters as well.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like all the mods are for ride-ability or maintenance issues. No real "bling". Sounds like you got a good deal and I'm sure if something does pop up the guy will be more than willing to point you in the correct direction to fix it if you haven't already figured it out yourself.

That's one good thing about bike specific sites is you can meet guys that care about that bike more than the average. They try things that the general population would never think of and hone that info to gain the max. I keep my toes in those waters as well.
Yes, the "mods" are really to make better the known flaws of a given bike. Brakes and suspension are the major offenders. Tires are kind of hard to find, which is likely why he had spares, because he found some and nabbed them while he could. It will be my goal to find the parts needed to do the wheel upgrades before those tires are worn out.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..and a wake up.
Yep!

I just went to CycleGear and bought a set of saddlebags for it. They were on sale for a hundred bucks, not real big. Tonight at work l will put together a little tool kit and then l should be good to go. Friday can't get here soon enough!!!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
That's awesome! Enjoy the trip. Remember zip ties and wire.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts