Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all there i bought an 86 suzuki gs550 as a parts bike that runs rich no matter what i do ive cleaned and double cleaned the carbs soaked em in berrymans used a compressor to blow them out replaced all orings including the ones between the boots and block .The po had put in #37.5 pilot jets and i replaced them with stock#35 jets i checked the main jets and all four main jets are#100, stock is #95 on 1 and 4 and #102.5 on 2and 3 should i put them back to the stock jets also? btw it has a4 into one header with a supertrapp exhaust w12 disks,stock airbox with a k&n air filter oh yeah its a california model w/all the smog carp which is now on shelf in the garage .Can anyone help me i really want to get her on the road THANKS for any help!

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Are all four cylinders rich? The center carbs had larger jets because they get less cooling; the extra fuel made them run a bit cooler. The more open filters may have made the engine a bit lean, thus, the larger mains, but one would expect all jets to increase, not the mix you show. Still, you need to establish a baseline for all cylinders - fresh plugs, and evaluate after a full warmup; this after checking the idle and part throttle sync.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I'm not a mechanic yet...but l can tell you, l doubt you will get much of a response from the mechanics here since you took the smog equipment off your bike. This is a pretty environmentally friendly group here.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
"All that" is probably just a vapor canister, and the hoses that connect it to the fuel tank vent and a vacuum port. If that wasn't done well, it will mess up your mixture, too. The jet sizing implies the PO didn't know anything about how these bikes are set up, BTW.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Interesting...l have seen guys really get excited here about people taking that stuff off a bike...good lesson on not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong :)

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Given the bike is nearly 30 years old, the canister probably doesn't function any more, and it didn't do very much when it did function, I'd say the only folks who really care are the CARB inspectors.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
HI all there i bought an 86 suzuki gs550 as a parts bike that runs rich no matter what i do ive cleaned and double cleaned the carbs soaked em in berrymans used a compressor to blow them out replaced all orings including the ones between the boots and block .The po had put in #37.5 pilot jets and i replaced them with stock#35 jets i checked the main jets and all four main jets are#100, stock is #95 on 1 and 4 and #102.5 on 2and 3 should i put them back to the stock jets also? btw it has a4 into one header with a supertrapp exhaust w12 disks,stock airbox with a k&n air filter oh yeah its a california model w/all the smog carp which is now on shelf in the garage .Can anyone help me i really want to get her on the road THANKS for any help!
Whoa... slow down there Rig5... You gave quite an account of what you have done to "fix" the bike... but no where in your post do I see an account of why you think the bike needs to be fixed. Why do you think it runs rich? Does it run poorly? Everything WintrSol is spot on, but he's advising you based on an incomplete description of WHY you think the bike runs badly... please elaborate... why do you suspect it runs rich?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Interesting...l have seen guys really get excited here about people taking that stuff off a bike...good lesson on not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong :)
Actually Hawk... that smog crap that California bikes have doesn't really diminish the bikes performance. It's designed to re-capture any fuel fumes/liquids that might escape from the tank. Removing it PROPERLY does not affect the performance of the machine one Iota...

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I was making a fish joke. Take the carp off the bike. Ha?

(I would take the emissions stuff off though, if I ended up with a CA bike around here.)

Like Jack pointed out, if you do something right, be it taking stuff off or adding it on, it can be a fine thing. The problems come when people start hacking around on bikes and don't have enough knowledge, or the right kind of knowledge, and sometimes make more problems for themselves. Generally speaking, I'll advise people to leave it the way the factory and God intended. Otherwise it may ultimately take money out of their wallet and put it in mine. It could even be a safety issue too.

But if you know what you're about, and understand any risks of your actions? Have at it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smog stuff taken off

The reason i took the smog off was because it was in my way,the tubes going to the hoses is kinda bent outwards anyway i can put it back on in about 30 seconds three bolts all hoses were missing when i bought the bike(aparts bike) The reason i think its running rich is the plugs are black and sooty , if i start it with the choke off the rpms go up to 4-5k and stay,if i put the choke on about 1/4 it will idle ok ,but if i blip the throttle it wil hang abit then slowly return to idle,throttle cables are fine,and there is strong smell of gas comeing out the exhaust and will sometimes backfire. and btw thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Yeah, you need to make sure all the hose connections are made (or plugged, in the case of the vapor canister vacuum source), put the jets back the way they are supposed to be, and verify the float levels are correct, then check the sync. Basically, start fresh.

Once you have a baseline, then you need to evaluate mixture settings. The air filters *might* require a bit more jet, but I just had to change the lift on the jet needle when I put K&Ns in mine, with the stock filter boxes. Pod filters would be a different issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
id check make sure the oil isnt full of gas... which would mean incorrect float heights or float valves or float valve orings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts