Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was getting around to replacing an airbox on a 1984 CT110 - basically switching it out for what I thought was a 1:1 part of the airbox. Anyway the filter and the part is virtually identical but doesn't have hoses available for the oil/drain crankcase venting. My understanding of the function of these is limited but are these even necessary? I believe earlier models ran fine without them but I don't want to discount the idea that these were added for a reason. I just didn't want to fire this thing up and do more harm than good. I looked around quite a bit for a similar airbox for later models but most are in worse shape than the one I set out to replace.

Worth noting the other tapatalk CT110 specific forum I was trying to post at died - I know this is a real specific question.

Anybody have experience with this - and if so should I just leave it as it is or potentially use drill out a similar hole in the new one?

http://dratv.com/ck2ainewmore.html - the link for reference to the replacement part in question.

This is a side by side comparison new one to the left - old one to the right:

20210501_110109.jpg

This is the old one hooked up.
20210501_101455.jpg

This is inside the old one - its just got a small reservoir at the bottom of the tank - the new one just goes straight through.

Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
You didn't figure out much from that thread. Crankcase needs to breathe clean air and be able to expel water and blow-by gasses from the crankcase on every single stroke of the engine. Your bike had a positive crankcase ventilation system before likely because it was intended for import and the parts you source are likely not.
How are you going to deal with the hoses?

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,138 Posts
A couple of under-sized holes drilled would, get by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts