Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier but no one's commented my Yamaha is hard to start after I let it overheat starts fine when it's warm but is almost impossible to start when it's cold any ideas would be great

· If in doubt...what?
86 Posts
I got nothing for you as far as your bike problem goes, but I would like to probe a bit on an aside. Your '85 is a 750 I believe. I recently purchased a basket case '82 XJ650 and am working it back to road worthy. Tires will be here tomorrow. I have rebuilt the carbs, gone through the electrical, rebuilt the break systems, and am ready for rubber. My motorcycling experience includes the following: 90cc honda, 350 cc big horn Kawasaki, 850 Norton Commando, Road Glide HD, Suzuki 650 Boulevard, and BMW R1200GSA. As you can see there are no multi-cylinder Jap bikes on the list. I'm expecting this little 4 cylinder 650 to be a light high rev'ing 'round town burner. Am I going to be disappointed?

· Registered
120 Posts
Not clear on your problem. Are you saying it overheated and you let it overheat???

Anyhow, I would do a compression check since low compression could result in hard starting.

Does it have a manual choke? Is the bike new to you?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 650 4 cylinder is going to be impressive for its size. RPMs can get quite high on the choke that is normal just watch and adjust with choke. Overall you should be quite pleased with the take off and handling as you know watch out for bumps it is a bit lighter than the other bikes you have had

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the bike last Friday I accidentally let it overheat to the red point warming it up walked inside and forgot like a dumbass. water sprayed out of the radiator cap and got everything wet I think we have narrowed it down to the Heat messed with my valves and blew the head gasket slightly it pop starts. And runs excellently after it gets started just starting it is the hard part. This is my first bike I got it because both vehicles I own broke down within a two-day span of each other and needed something immediately my luck I messed it up.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you give a brief description of what happened to cause the overheating. Was it just a guage showing an overheating or did it overheat to the point it actually stalled the engine?
the needle was on red when it overheated I turned it off immediately seeing the steam Billo out from below and turn the electronic fan on to cool it off dried everything out and refilled liquids it started warm next morning is when the issue started only and I mean only when it is cold it has trouble starting

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got nothing for you as far as your bike problem goes, but I would like to probe a bit on an aside. Your '85 is a 750 I believe. I recently purchased a basket case '82 XJ650 and am working it back to road worthy. Tires will be here tomorrow. I have rebuilt the carbs, gone through the electrical, rebuilt the break systems, and am ready for rubber. My motorcycling experience includes the following: 90cc honda, 350 cc big horn Kawasaki, 850 Norton Commando, Road Glide HD, Suzuki 650 Boulevard, and BMW R1200GSA. As you can see there are no multi-cylinder Jap bikes on the list. I'm expecting this little 4 cylinder 650 to be a light high rev'ing 'round town burner. Am I going to be disappointed?
Stop & Go is where you're going to have the most fun I love mine and it's a 750 my first bike

· Ghost in the machine
1,497 Posts
I would start by doing a compression check of each cylinder. Just to be safe, I would also drain the oil and look for signs of coolant in it.
I,m curious as to why the fan didn't turn itself on automatically before it overheated?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.