Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike and when I got it I was told the clutch master cylinder was shot so I took it apart and got a rebuild kit got it put together but having issues with the starter interlock switch or neutral switch cant remember how it goes back together I have a manual but does not show anything about it any help greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
There should be a switch attached to the bottom of the lever perch, which is in the ON position when the lever is pulled, and enables starting. The switch is #6 in this drawing: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32addf8700232d0b3cfab/left-handle-switch
You can remove and clean that switch, but be very careful to get that T-shaped plastic bit in the right place, as it is easy to break. If already broken, you can bypass that switch with a jumper between the wires - just make sure you don't forget, and try to start in gear.

On newer bikes, the neutral switch, along with the landing gear up switch, turns on a relay that enables starting when the above switch is ON. Not sure yours has this feature, since the '98 Intruder does not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts