Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, l went and looked at a 1985 Honda Nighthawk this morning. It was BEAUTIFUL on one side...the other side had been down...instrument cluster rattled as it rode...and it needed fork seals...tires were okay but cheap....none of this was in the ad. Oh, and Florida plates. He had been asking $1400 OBO, said he would take a thousand. I decided to hold off for something a little cleaner. I don't expect a perfect bike at that price point, but l think l can get more for the money. I will be looking at the 1984 GS550ES on Monday, and l saw a couple other bikes that hit the ads today. One was an '83 Kawasaki Spectre 750, the other a '96 Yamaha SECA II...both looked decent. We shall see if they survive the weekend.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the Nighthawk, just not this one. It is a cool look, had a neat motor. This was way under book, and l found out why

·
Registered
537 Posts
I bought a new 450 Nighthawk in 1985, my first bike.

I loved it, it was a great machine.

I gave $1800 (good old days...)

Keep looking, you will find something.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I had an 82 nighthawk 750, bought it for cost because my dad was a dealer. Put 101,000 miles on it without a problem, until the clutch started slipping.

I wouldn't give more than a grand for one of the 80's model now though, they just aren't worth that much unless they are like new with just a few miles on them. I only paid $1800 for mine new, they were on the floor for $3395 then.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I had an 82 nighthawk 750, bought it for cost because my dad was a dealer. Put 101,000 miles on it without a problem, until the clutch started slipping.

I wouldn't give more than a grand for one of the 80's model now though, they just aren't worth that much unless they are like new with just a few miles on them. I only paid $1800 for mine new, they were on the floor for $3395 then.
Hydraulic valve lifters. Shaft drive. Six Speed. No surprise that it rolled those kind of miles. The 750's became 700 cc to avoid the "Harley Tax" and they were still well liked by their owners. The looks of the bike were not to all tastes, but the RWB colors look pretty cool compared to the other paint combos IMHO.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

WOW!!! Your Dad owned a bike shop? That must have been the coolest childhood ever! Did you get to hang out in the shop and work with the mechanics and stuff?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Sure I did, I was putting bikes together and riding them around the lot to put them away. We also sold King Midget cars, was a great childhood.

I got to play on the Hondas, the Triumphs were just too big for me then. The first bike I actually had to buy was in 1982, but I was still getting Hondas for cost.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure I did, I was putting bikes together and riding them around the lot to put them away. We also sold King Midget cars, was a great childhood.

I got to play on the Hondas, the Triumphs were just too big for me then. The first bike I actually had to buy was in 1982, but I was still getting Hondas for cost.
That's awesome! So, just how much work is involved in assembling the bikes? I mean, are they somewhat pre-assembled?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It was putting the front rim on, the seat, handlebars, and sometimes the pegs. I was only 5 years old when my dad hired me to work there, and I will forever be grateful. We always had the newest bikes in town! Sold a lot of them too.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
No, we got rid of it in the 70's, but there were other shops that worked together with my dad's and I was still getting bikes on the cheap.

I went in the Army instead of taking the bike shop, probably a good thing, yet a regret.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, l hear ya...my Dad walked away from the family business, a huge sawmill in southern Oregon. He said he "wished it would have worked but it just wasn't in the cards".

·
American Legion Rider
23,691 Posts
Good luck with that hawk. What part of the country may I ask?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts