Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am the proud, frustrated owner of a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650. Until just last week it was running fine. However, went out to start it last week and it wouldn't start. Wondering what you all might think.

The situation:
all lights come on with full power and horn works fine. However, when I go to start, there is only a click. I assume this is the solenoid relay. Other than the click though nothing happens.

What I've tried:
Bought a new battery (needed one anyway). Hooked it up and still the same click. Posts are fine and connectors on cables don't have rust at either end. Cables themselves are in good order (no frays or anything). Checked the fuse on the solenoid and it appears fine and the clicking suggests that the solenoid isn't the problem. So, I feel like I'm left with the starter. Does that sound right?

What's next?
Not really sure what to try here. Haven't been able to get a different result at all even after some tinkering. I ordered a solenoid anyway as it was pretty cheap, though I don't think it will fix the problem. Any thoughts? Maybe my troubleshooting process is messed up? I'm not particularly mechanical and pretty new to bikes (1.5 years) so this is quite possible. If I could even just get it running in order to drive it to a mechanic, that would be great. Would save the cost of a tow.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Try taking some heavy wire and bridging from the battery + terminal to the starter lug. Don't attach the wire, just brush it quickly over the lug. If the starter jumps and tries to turn over you know it's probably okay and you can start to re-check the rest of the circuit. I'd probably start by testing the relay itself.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
And re check all the connections in the circuit, especially the grounds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts