Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike, first forum post and first issue - so if I don't get any of this right please let me know.

Anyway, I bought a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700 and I'm having an issue with the shifter lever. The bike was pretty much fine when I got it, other than 1st being a little tricky. It doesn't go into 1st easily and sometimes I need to let out the clutch or rock the bike and hit it just right.

So the main issue is with the shifter lever. A friend was showing me some riding techniques and when he was driving it he couldn't get it into 1st from 2nd. I think he was stomping on the lever pretty hard. When he brought the bike back to the driveway in 2nd he tried to shift down into 1st with no luck. So he shifted up through the gears all the way to OD (with the clutch engaged the whole time). And that is where she stopped working (the shifter that is). The lever is just sort of hanging there and doesn't seem to be engaging anything. I can pull the clutch and the bike rocks back and forth, and when I let go the bike locks up, but as far as getting out of OD no luck. I can't start the bike, I'm thinking it needs to be in Neutral to start. The spline portion of the shifter link is connected to the nub on the transmission well and does not seem to be the issue. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Here is a youtube video of the issue. (Note: I am not allowed to post links yet? So just take the space out of the link between youtube and the .com)

youtube .com/watch?v=np1RCkvJ1ak&feature=youtu.be

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Sounds like he overshot OD and put it into "no man's gears land"

If you're lucky, start the engine and hold the clutch in, and have someone work the shift lever with their HANDS, you may be able to get it back down through the gears. Don't force ANYTHING. (Ever???)

If you're unlucky you're going to pay a shop to crack the gearbox open and fix it.

It sounds to me like the shifter has rotated on the splines or was mis-assembled last item it was removed/replaced. Take it off, don't just LOOK at it. Splines may be gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

So after a bit of research and investigation, it looks like the only way to get into the crank case is to take the engine out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts