Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Red flag to me when they only show one side.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Cool bike - not really old enough to be collectible, but you could score a good deal on it.

You're really going to have to see it in person. Like Critter said, what's on that other side? Smell the exhaust - any burning oil smell? How much life is in the tires and brake pads? $1,000 is a lot if the bike needs new tires and brakes, etc. If everything is like new and pristine I would probably do $1k - but it better be really nice! That bike is over 30 years old, so it will need a good look-over... stuff gets old, rubber parts dry up, etc.

How good was the tune up? Warm the bike up and snap the throttle, do the RPMs snap back to idle, or do they hang and float back down. Any oil smoke after the RPMs drop back down? Will he let you do a compression check? Fork seals?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff cmon...he said the tires are in good shape. Price was reduced, not sure from what. Kind of an intriguing bike like you say; l like the old school sport bikes.

I am also looking at another bike, an '85 Nighthawk 750. As cool as the GS is, this would be a more practical bike, probably more reliable, certainly more comfortable, and l could take it on a trip over the mountain if l wanted to. It is $1400 obo.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5098261686.html

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
6 speed, shaft drive - that's a nice bike assuming it runs well!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a surprising number of Nighthawks still around from this era. l have a feeling they were good, solid machines.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool bike - not really old enough to be collectible, but you could score a good deal on it.

You're really going to have to see it in person. Like Critter said, what's on that other side? Smell the exhaust - any burning oil smell? How much life is in the tires and brake pads? $1,000 is a lot if the bike needs new tires and brakes, etc. If everything is like new and pristine I would probably do $1k - but it better be really nice! That bike is over 30 years old, so it will need a good look-over... stuff gets old, rubber parts dry up, etc.

How good was the tune up? Warm the bike up and snap the throttle, do the RPMs snap back to idle, or do they hang and float back down. Any oil smoke after the RPMs drop back down? Will he let you do a compression check? Fork seals?
So if you snap the throttle and the rpms hang up rather than snapping back, does this suggest a dirty carb? Burning smell in the exhaust l am guessing means the rings are getting worn out. What other things should l look for? I am going in the morning to look at the 1985 Nighthawk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts