Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran across a mint condition GL Limited. Everything works except the fuel pump. The owner says he can't find a pump for it. After doing some research I've found that a Honda Prelude EFI fuel pump will work. Same size, same pressure (35 psi), and bolts right on. Has anybody ever done this swap? Or is there a better alternative?

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I have not but a pump is a pump. If everything about the new is the same as the old, I say go for it. I mean I would do it and not look back.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hog. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the GL. The guy only wants 700 bucks for the bike. Even if the swap doesn't work, I can always mount any 35 psi pump anywhere on the bike and make it work. Such a nice bike. I'd hate to see it go to waste.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
On the Classic site I know a few done that, along with a few other mods... sounds like you got a good thing about to happen there...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Aphro. I bought a brand new '77 GL back in...well, '77. It was a nice touring bike. Actually an excellent bike! However my riding style at the time ( I was in my early 30s') was more into light cruisers at the time. I kept it for about 4 years and went back to the Honda 750. Now that I'm in my 70's, maybe I'll keep this rolling Barco Lounger, and sell my Suzy 1000. I am slowing down in my 'advanced' years, maybe it might be a good thing.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I am slowing down in my 'advanced' years, maybe it might be a good thing.
I have a very good friend that is still riding his HD Road King. But I'm slowing down rapidly just in my 70's. my wreck not only took my ankle but it took about 10 years. He and I walk and ride about the same. We have a bet as to who stops riding first. I hope to win it. He refuses to go with a trike while I'm open to it but fighting it. That's today. After 6 hours riding a tractor yesterday, I'm not sure there either now.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have replaced a couple fuel pumps. I just refuse to pay $200 plus for a new motorcycle fuel pump when I can go to an auto parts store and buy a comparable (fuel pressure wise) pump for $60 or $70.

Just get a couple extra feet of fuel line in case you need to do some "plumbing". If needed, fuel pressure regulators can be added.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts