Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an 84 Magna V30 and on hot days the temp gauge gets almost all the way to the red line and that has me worried. If happens after I've ridden her for a while and then end up at a stop light or some stop and go traffic. It doesn't take long for it to get close to the red line and the cooling fan does come on, but not until it's almost at the red line. I read in another thread that Magnas sometimes just overheat even with a perfectly functioning cooling system, but it seems to me that if it's perfectly functioning, it wouldn't overheat. Any suggestions? I'm not losing any coolant and it's never actually hit the redline, but living in the South, especially in the summer, I get a little worried.

·
Banned
685 Posts
It doesn't take long for it to get close to the red line and the cooling fan does come on, but not until it's almost at the red line.

I'm not losing any coolant and it's never actually hit the redline, but living in the South, especially in the summer, I get a little worried.
This is why most bikes don't even HAVE temp. gauges anymore.

Be sure your idle speed is up where it should be, that your radiator isn't plugged up with rocks and dirt, etc.........and then don't worry about it.

Really. If the fan runs right before it hits the red, that's what it is supposed to do. Making it run cooler would NOT necessarily be better, even if you could do that.

(This was written by the guy whose fan NEVER runs and is a tiny bit worried about that.......even though everybody says it's normal for that model.) :D

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You could flush the system if you haven't. You might also ask a Honda service department about it.

You might also swap out the thermostat just to make sure the thermostat is opening at the proper temperature. It may not be too expensive if you check out the Honda number and they use the same one in a car - might be able to get one at a car parts store on the cheap.

You didn't mention if it is holding a bit normal when actually riding at constant higher speed (35-65) versus sitting still and in stop/go traffic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts