Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last week I decided to change my handlebars and I took everything off, but then life got in the way and I had to let it sit for a week with everything off, including taking the throttle cables off the tube. Yesterday, I put it all back together and went to start it up and it wouldn't catch. I tried a few times, checked to make sure my start switch didn't get screwed up when I was trying to get the throttle back together, made sure I had enough charge on my battery. Getting the throttle cables back on was a pain and I ended up tugging on the cables quite a bit to wrestle them into the tube. My question is, what's my most likely culprit to keep it from starting? It's hard to see what's happening at the end of the throttle cables, but when I twist it, I hear the butterfly valves opening and closing. These bikes use a fuel pump, but could I have flooded it when messing with the throttle? I'm still pretty new to bikes, but I'd like to track this down myself so I learn a thing or two, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
685 Posts
I'm still pretty new to bikes, but I'd like to track this down myself so I learn a thing or two, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.
Pull the plugs one at a time and check for spark.

If that is good, squirt a little fuel or starting fluid into the air box.

And keep the battery fully charged while you are doing this.

You are using full choke and NO throttle while doing this, right ??

And I guess I should ask: What exactly do you mean by "won't catch" ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By "won't catch" I mean the starter is turning over, but the engine won't start.

I'll start with the plugs probably this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I changed the plugs and checked the compression, which is fine. But, I'm getting no spark. I'm really starting to think I messed up the kill switch when I was changing the handle bars. I've had a bit of trouble with it in the past. A faulty kill switch would let the starter kick in but keep out from getting spark to the plugs, right?

·
Registered
543 Posts
On my V65 Magna and VF700C Magna, the kill switch only kills the spark. The starter still engages with the kills witch off on both bikes.

·
Banned
685 Posts
On my present bike, the kill switch "kills" the starter too.
On my V65 Magna and VF700C Magna, the kill switch only kills the spark. The starter still engages with the kills witch off on both bikes.
This brings up a broader important point:
You should TEST the safeties on your bike while it is working right......so you will be familiar with how they work.......and might realize what is wrong IF you leave one in the wrong position !!! ;)

I found out that my clutch switch is bad and I can't re-start it in gear if I stall it.
That is kind of important if you stall it in traffic.

I just tested my Vulcan and the KILL switch does, in fact, kill the starter too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghost Rider, you're right, I'm trying to figure out how it all works and I should probably have started with the safety stuff. I looked over my manual, saw that the kill switch is in the same circuit as the spark units but not the starter, so I took the switch apart to check it out. Apparently when I was changing out my handlebars the other day I pulled a wire out. I just stripped off the other wire and tied them together for now and got her to fire up. I'll be getting a new kill switch asap, though. I don't like the idea of not having that available.

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats on getting her fired up :)

The upside of the kills witch on the Magna's not killing the starter, is that it works great for compression testing!

The kill switch on my GV1200 Madura kills the starter....just for reference in case you get the V4 bug too and start collecting lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts