Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, it seems that I've come across some electrical problems while I was moving my bike. It seems the tarp that I was using to cover it decided it would rather fray than do it's job, and the end result became it getting wrapped around my rear turn signals and ripping them off. Now I figured this would be a simple repair, just re connect the wiring and they would be good as new. This is not the case. After re connecting, i've been able to have my left rear signal be able to blink, but not light up, and my right rear neither blinks or lights up. Any suggestions as to what to do would be great, as i'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything electrical. And if it matters, the tail light and break light works as should, and my front signals both operate properly as well.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
With turn signals, it is often the ground. [Some] OEM Honda signals ground by simply mounting them to the bike. If you are using an aftermarket turn signal, make sure that you compensate for any grounding issues, especially if the signal has a plastic body.

I lost a rear turn signal on one of my bikes and it even affected the operation of the front signal. I think the reason they wire them this way is so the operator of the bike knows something is wrong when the flasher fails to operate.

My bikes are older than yours, but I did see this happen on a 1983 Honda Magna

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rear turn signals do not stay lit, they only blink. ( I have an 83 NH). Only the fronts stay on. Guessing your rear right has either a burned out bulb of wired backwards. :71baldboy:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The rear turn signals should be single-element bulbs and don't normally light up unless they are blinking. Have you tried swapping the bulbs from side to side and see if the problem follows the bulb?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts