Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this bike to start out on. It runs pretty well, clutch and brakes are fine but there’s a noise coming from one of the wheels (I think it’s the front) but it only happens after I’ve rode it for at least 20 minutes. It sounds like a screeching/chirping which has made me lean towards a wheel bearing but if anybody else has an idea of what it could be please let me know. I’m new to this bike so I’m not sure what it could be. Thanks!

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Wheel bearing or brakes.

Brakes are easy enough to check, see how much lining is left on them ( just like car brakes). Some brakes just chirp at times too, try applying the front brake gently while it's chirping, does the sound change..if so that's a sign to look closer at the brakes. Some types of pads just are noisy.

As for the wheel bearing idea, jack it up and you can turn and try to wiggle the wheel, or take the wheel off and feel the bearings. Or while you have it off just replace them, wheel bearings are pretty cheap and easy enough to change so even if you have it done it's not a huge expense.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I honestly don't remember, but if the speedometer drive runs off the front wheel you might want to check that also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there’s a new problem as of last night. I was riding home around like 9pm and the lights and stuff just shut off and the bike died. I never did get it started again but I also was wondering about the screeching...is there a fan inside the radiator? Please excuse my ignorance. I just like to be sure about things like this. Thank you guys for your input so far

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Most radiators do have electric fans, and if it's screeching maybe it's bad and blew the fuse for your electrical system. You might fix all your problems with one simple fix...

So there’s a new problem as of last night. I was riding home around like 9pm and the lights and stuff just shut off and the bike died. I never did get it started again but I also was wondering about the screeching...is there a fan inside the radiator? Please excuse my ignorance. I just like to be sure about things like this. Thank you guys for your input so far

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've had them do that before. Did the starter stick on and crank until the battery was dead?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was riding it when it happened and I don’t remember it trying to crank over. It just shut off. We try to jump the bike once I got it home and with the key off and the kill switch in the off position, it tried to start while in first gear as well without the clutch being squeezed in. We just tapped on the relay a few times with a wrench and presto back to normal. I have the battery charging now.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yikes! Hopefully it will loosen up with age, but I've changed more than one Honda solenoid of this era because of corrosion issues. I'm willing to bet there are some other corrosion/connection issues in the electrical system too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you still have the OEM main fuse on, install a modern blade fuse with blade fuse holder instead. I had a similar problem but it was intermittent. The OEM fuse I had was cracked in half, but the two halves were still touching. There is a free pdf copy of the service manual for that bike on another forum but I am not sure if I can post the link here and I am too lazy to read the rules.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I installed a new starter relay with a blade fuse. When I installed the part and the neutral light came on without the key being on. And it was in neutral. But then I turned the key on which was probably a mistake. It melted the main fuse and the wire going to the neutral indicator light as well as to the changing switch. I found a wiring diagram to trace the rest of the wires and none of the other ones melted more than a few inches away from the relay. On wire going to the regulator, one goes to each handle bar (for the clutch switch, and the starter) and one to the ignition switch. The wire that melted also melted the silicon rectifier. What might have caused all of this to happen?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wire that melted didn’t melt all the way to the neutral light. It only made it halfway under the gas tank. And no fuses were blown either. Also after we tapped on the old relay to get it to release I never could get it started again. And the battery was fully charged. But when I would hit the starter the gauges would just jump around and that was it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts