Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all of the bikers out there! This is my first thread in the forum. I have this 1984 Honda VT500FT V-twin liquid cooled 6-speed shaft driven Ascot I got just over a year ago. I had been storing it for a family member in my garage for over 12 years and finally convinced him to sell it to me.

Although I have never owned or ran a motorcycle, outside of dirtbikes that is, I do however have a history in mechanics and have had no issues refurbishing the bike.

In the first summer of having it, I got it some what a part and got it running. I ran it up and down the drive a few times and it is in really good condition. So I decided to finish the rebuild and get it on the road by this next summer.

I wanted to bring this beauty to the forum so I could for one share the rebuild of this rare bike, but also to search for threads, tutorials, and receive feedback. I have never rebuilt a bike as much as I intend to build this one, so I could use some guidance, hopefully some that all of you knowledgeable people seem to have with bikes.

Here are pictures of the build so far. I am now working on stripping it back down to the frame to do refurbishment. It needs some paint and light rust repair. My idea is to keep it close to original, but yet give it a cafe bike style with the angled bars and a custom seat.

The pictures are organized from when I first got it to now. I will have more to post as I will have many, many questions. Right now it needs a few $$ to get it road ready, it needs turn signals, gas tank work and a gas cap, clutch cable mount repairs, rear tire, ignition re-wired, some other msc things like paint, needs gauge work..

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,134 Posts
Does look good

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
My hat is off to you for bringing that mess back to life.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Getting this bike lead me to watching old black and white videos of racing at Ascot park back in the 70's.

In the time I have had this bike I have only seen it on the internet a couple of times, and the only stuff I could find on it being made into a cafe racer was one built from the single cylinder air cooled model, the VT500. This FT model had the v-twin liquid cooled aspect.

I have been bummed that it is shaft driven, but I will work with it. I think this bike would be pretty awesome if it had a chain drive with kick start.. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I have been revving right up to get this thing going this summer. I can feel the heat of it coming on at a wopping 34 degrees here in Southern Maine! Another month or so and the snow should be leaving enough for me to be out on it.

Just the other day I was drinkin a beer on it making motor noises. I am ripe and ready to ride! So stoked! My first bike!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordering parts this week for the Ascot! Hoping to have it on the road this summer. So far I found some after market turn signals, lower bars, nice mirrors, few things for parts I need. Also prepping for paint, going with a black tone versus the red or green. Also found multipurpose tires..

The filters should allow me to pull the old air-box contraption. Removing part of the rear finder plastics. Also msc repairs like new fuel lines, paint and sanding to deteriorating parts..

Still tracking down a gascap. This bike had the oval one that is compatible with some of the CX's and VF's. Picture is attached. I seem to find these with the key for a whopping 75$ which I find to be a little expensive. At one point I thought I found a seller who had them for 12$ a piece but now I cannot find them.

Also curious, how important is the cooling fan for the radiator? Mine has never come on and has never gotten hot enough to need it. I was curious because I have seen pictures online of them removed from these bikes. Would love to see the eye sore gone if it is not needed.

I also have to figure out the ignition. I really want to just put in switches instead of a key ignition..

There is a picture of a bike too, that is what I am aiming for but a little different. I want it to be some what original but also have the racing look.

And the license is going to be 300$ here in the state of Maine. Kinda expensive in my opinion but I think it will be well worth it.

$_12.JPG

$_122.JPG

$T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJvfBQhiL-Hkv!~~60_12.JPG

222.JPG

$_1222.JPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The light should help with making a number plate for the front! Gauges too. I may not go with these, I am still deciding, but my gauge housing is all broken at the mounts, so I figure may as well upgrade..

$_1255.JPG

$_1444.JPG

Ascot.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just about another week, maybe two, and the parts will be in and I will be finished with other projects so the garage will be free and spacy!

Will be sure to post back!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
post pics! can't wait to see it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts