Motorcycle Forum banner

1984 Goldwing standard buy it?

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  seagullplayer 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a great condition 1984 1200 goldwing standard with windshield and added hard painted factory saddlebags. 11,000 miles. Is $2000 a fair price? How much in demand are the old standards-1984 was the last year they were built.

#2 ·
Full retail price in excellent condition is about $2500. If it needs anything (tires, battery, carb work) the price should come down from there. I'd say the price is fair if everything is in order.

Be aware that parts are getting very hard to come by for these older bikes. If it does need or will need work in the future, it can become an expensive proposition.

#3 ·
Goldwing's aren't too bad for the most part in my experience if you're OK with fleaBay. Most of the needed stuff is out there somewhere, though you likely have to go either used or aftermarket.

$2,000 sounds ballpark if it's in good condition - depends on what's wrong with it. 11k miles is pretty darn low, are you sure it's not 111k? Those engines, if taken care of properly will last a long time, so 11k is really young.

#5 ·
There was some issue that plagued the 1200 that didn't appear in prior incarnations, it was either charging or timing related but I can't recall exactly what. IIRC it was a recall issue and the improved part was made available afterwards.

Nose around a Gold Wing forum and you should be able to get a better glimpse into this.

#7 ·
I completely understand what the others are saying about finding parts for and having work done on an older bike - it is something which needs to be considered. That said though, I've owned 3 older Goldwings, and it's never been an issue. All the routine parts are out there - you can buy timing belts through NAPA (thermostat too). Water pump can be a bit pricey. Other cooling system parts are very easy to find.

If you're planning on doing the work yourself - the thought of taking the front of the engine apart to replace the water pump, or changing the timing belts - if you're OK with that and the bike is in good shape I think it's a no brainer.

If you are going to have the work done by someone else, you should probably have that lined up prior to buying the bike - it can add up when paying someone hourly - especially if they're not used to working on a GL.

Plan on doing the timing belts ASAP - get those 30 year old belts off of there!

#9 ·
I just sold my 1984 Gold Wing Interstate to my BIL two weeks ago. I had it four years, and did all the work myself.

First off read this site:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

Here is another site:

http://goldwingdocs.com/

The GL1200 engine is a very good engine, some argue the best ever put in a Wing, that is saying alot! But the #1 issue that kills them is timing belt. They need changed out every 60-80K or every 10 years. A 30 year old bike with 11K on it has never had the belts changed, at least you have to consider that unless they can show you other wise.
Its a high dollar repair unless you do it yourself.

I loved our bike, it had 93K on it when I bought it. The guy had just replaced the belts and replaced the stater (another known weak spot) the year before.

There is good info out there on doing repairs yourself, check it out. If you don't plan on doing the work needed yourself, you might want to pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.